BTS: One quick question about FOG

I have the Viper 2 and I am having a fog problem. This may be a driver related issue, I am not sure. I have the 6-26-00 card driver and DirectX7a. What happens with fog is, the entire area surrounding the map/battlefield, turns gray when full weather effects are toggled on. However, no fog is on the battlefield. When I toggle heavy fog off (Shift W) the outside area returns to green. SHift W again turns it gray. Seems like fog won't appear ON the map, just outside and around it.

Is there any hope for me? I have tried all possible fog settings on my card with no change.

Thanks

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 07-20-2000).]

My guess is that it is a driver issue.

The Savage 2000 drivers probably aren't doing fog-table emulation correctly. According to Diamond/S3 the Savage 2000 does support "Vertex, per-pixel, range-based and table fog". Unfortunately there doesn't really appear to be a place to post issues with their drivers (other than calling them, which is probably going to be "on-hold Hell").

I have no idea if any of this will help you, you may want to checkout Reactorcritical.com and see if the S3 Tweak offers any features that will help. The Savage 2000 driver listed here is dated a little older than what you claim to have.

Reactorcritical:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-20-2000).]

I have the same problem.

I don't have a clue what kind of video card I have or the drivers, but my computer is brand new (2 months old).

I see those great looking screen shots with folks that have fog and it looks like it adds a lot to the CM experience.

Can some suggest an answer? Thanks,

James.

James - If you really want those fog effects and you're not getting them, then you may need to purchase another video card (and remove your current one).

What you need to do is find out exactly what video card you have in your computer. There is a chance that it is built-in. This in turn could limit your choices in upgrading your video. One way to find out is to go to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > click on the plus next to Display Adapters and your video card/video chipset should be listed there. Double click on the name of your video card and go to the Driver tab and then click on the Driver File Details button. You will get a listing of some of the drivers for your video card. Highlighting the first two filenames (one at a time) and reading the line that says File Version will give you a number to compare versions. If you post your info here we can tell you where to go to get an update (if it will help).

If you're lucky, your problem might be solved with newer drivers. But as a number of members on this forum have found out, their video cards/drivers don't support "fog-table emulation". Although these cards can often do fog, it is of the newer type that CM didn't use in order to keep compatibility with older video cards.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Bailey:

Schrullenhaft,

Thanks, I will check that tonight and will post reply.

For a extra $150 (guess that is what a video card costs), I will get a new video card for fog if I have too.

James.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the internet for the best prices using a search engine. Compare prices, you'd be surprised the deals you can find.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

Are there any plans on making the fog compatible with a card like my Viper 2, if the Viper 2 does allow fog (just a different type)?

Thanks

TeAcH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TeAcH

I also have fog problems with my Stealth III S540 Xtreme which is Savage4 based. I've contacted Diamond about it, but they want to know if others are having the same problem. I'll indicate that you do not see fog with your Viper 2 card. If others with Diamond cards are having trouble with fog, could they post here too so I can let Diamond know? Thanks.

Elmo

[This message has been edited by Elmo (edited 07-22-2000).]

According to Diamond/S3's specs the Savage4 (Stealth III S540 Extreme) does support table & vertex fog. So fog issues with this card are a driver issue.

I guess some of these companies don't expect games to be making calls for fog-tables when there is vertex fog available. So if the hardware does support fog-tables, then it is the drivers that don't seem to be written well enough to support the fog-table calls in DirectX.

I'm curious to know what other game titles use fog-tables. I guess the latest games just use vertex fog - which requires you to have a newer video card to get fog.

Thanks Schull and Elmo.

Schull, your last point begs the question again. Do you know if there are any plans to make CM's fog more compatible OR add vertex fog for the seemingly large group of BTS customers/CM players who are out here?

Thanks

TeAcH

Rewriting CM's code for fog is something that is solely up to Charles. He went with Fog Tables instead of Vertex Fog so older cards could support fog. I'm not sure of the quality differences between the two (I'd guess that vertex fog might look nicer, but be more of a CPU hog). I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to support both types (like CM's support of transparencies).

The choice of fog-tables on PCs has become an issue since a number of (usually newer) video cards have either dropped support of fog tables or their drivers haven't been written to support that feature in the hardware (in favor of vertex based fog). This is the kind of issue Charles is running into. A variety of companies haven't written their drivers to support all DirectX calls correctly. Sometimes it is a hardware issue, but quite often it is a choice of what to support in the driver.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-22-2000).]