Sequence of events during phase II of Op Totalize

And Google, of course, will give you the same maps zoomed in a lot closer with satellite photos and ten meter contour lines (and even a photo of the eglise de Cintheaux).

Land ownership in Normandy is very conservative, so the satellite photos probably give a pretty good idea of the field layout in the 'forties. I was surprised at how rural the area apparently still is, even today. Then again, something like half of the population of France is engaged in agriculture, which may explain in part why they've always had an unemployment problem.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Philippe:

And Google, of course, will give you the same maps zoomed in a lot closer with satellite photos and ten meter contour lines (and even a photo of the eglise de Cintheaux).

Yep, I agree. And there is an even better French mapping website (only does France and the colonies) around. I'm not wildly enamoured oof MapQuest, but the website linked to in the quote above has a translation tool that uses MQ.

Yep, I agree. And there is an even better French mapping website (only does France and the colonies) around. I'm not wildly enamoured oof MapQuest, but the website linked to in the quote above has a translation tool that uses MQ.

Originally posted by JonS:

And there is an even better French mapping website (only does France and the colonies) around.

Which just so happens to be right here.

To get CM-scale maps follow along:

-click on the map at bottom right to move the red cross to the region of choice

-click on the 'CARTES' icon at far left

-click on 'CARTE IGN' button

-shift the 'CARTE IGN' bar from 35% to 100%

-click on the zoom button at upper right (magnifying glass icon)

-window the area you wish to zoom in on. Continue windowing to zoom in closer.

A half dozen mouse clicks gets you this:

mapuf4.th.jpg

Once you have the towns and road net laid out you can shift the 'CARTE IGN' bar to the left to reveal an aerial photo of the terrain:

map2gs3.th.jpg

And there is an even better French mapping website (only does France and the colonies) around.

mapuf4.th.jpg

Once you have the towns and road net laid out you can shift the 'CARTE IGN' bar to the left to reveal an aerial photo of the terrain:

map2gs3.th.jpg

mapuf4.th.jpg

map2gs3.th.jpg

• 2 months later...

Kingfish,

Just as well you didn't model those columns used in the night phase of Op Totalise. Each one was 50 feet wide by 1000 feet long, with 220 AFVs per column, 4 abreast, 1 yard apart, 1-2 yard nose to tail separation. Source: Icks, FAMOUS TANK BATTLES, pp 221-222. Full details of column composition and order of march are given.

Bet running one of these in broad daylight in CMAK would give most players fits!

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

I didn't model the opening phase columns, but thanks to help from JonS I was able to recreate 'Halpenny force', which was part of phase II. The OOB is as close to historical as the game engine allows, and yes, the scenario is a bear. Also included is KG Wunsche. The scenario is basically one giant semi-fictional meeting engagement. Do a search at TSD II for "Dueling Sledgehammers".

Kingfish,

I know you didn't model them, but since you did so much work, I thought you might be fascinated and appalled not just by the tactical concept, but of trying to model that in a game where it's hard to even move a few vehicles down the road in daylight. Am fairly sure even one such column would crash the game, the owning player, or both! Congrats on the scenario, and am glad a certain member has other uses than continually deriding me.

Regards,

John Kettler