Artillery units directly subordinate to I FJ Korp

Kingfish

I'm looking for any info on what artillery was directly subordinate to I FJ Korp during the period July / August '44. The Axis history factbook shows the Korp having its own Artillery regiment (11. Fallschirm Artillery Regiment) with 3 battalions.

What types of artillery pieces were these, and how many?

Thank you

Actually, 1 battery of 105mm Kannon is quite believable. They were specialized long range guns for counterbattery, and even typical PDs had only a single battery of them. It was perfectly common to see them split up into single batteries, their others detached etc. It is a bit unusual to see 4 batteries rather than 3 in the other battalions. Overall, 9 batteries in a regiment is perfectl normal, and I suspect the division by type was an administrative measure to help with ammo supply issues and the like.

That is, originally the intention might have been 1st battalion, 1x150, 2x105, 2nd battalion, 1x150, 2x105, 3rd battalion, 2x150, 1x105K. But they simplified that structure to group all the guns of a given caliber under a single battalion HQ.

I also note that in this period, the 4th FJ division, a main component of the corps, lacked its own organic artillery regiment. It had a motorized Flak regiment and 3 FJRs of infantry, but no organic artillery. That strikes me as a fire control measure. That is, the arty regiment was held at corps level to centralize its fires, while "really" being the arty of the 4th FJ, in all but name.

Originally posted by JasonC:

That strikes me as a fire control measure. That is, the arty regiment was held at corps level to centralize its fires, while "really" being the arty of the 4th FJ, in all but name.

If that were the case, would they still retain their regimental heavy mortar companies in order to provide more responsive fire support? The inclusion of the 81mms is a no brainer, as these were a battalion level assets, but am looking to confirm they still had the 120mms as well.

120s were rare, few units had them to paper TOE. 6th FJR in Normandy did, but I don't know about the regiments of 4th FJD (which were the 10, 11, and 12 FJR incidentally).

There was a separate unit, the 4th FJ mortar battalion, which was part of the 4th FJD. That would have had 120s, pooled rather than in regimental assets. There was also the Flak battalion, which would have 88s in the first 3 batteries. So the organic fire support was 12 88mm and 12 120mm, basically. There was also a Pz Jgr battalion.

Incidentally, I suspect you already are aware the 4th FJ was formed from a cadre from the 2nd FJD (2 battalions), but the bulk of the men were *Italian* paras, from the disbanded Dembo and Folgore parachute divisions. Serving under German officers etc.

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

Nafizger gives (for May 1944) the strength as:

I.btl: 4 batteries of 4 150mm sFH

II.btl: 4 batteries of 4 150mm sFH

III.btl: 1(?) batteries of 4 100m K18 guns

I think the "1 batteries" thing is a typo (there are lots in his books). Probably meant 3 or 4 I would assume.

Agree with Jason, this can be correct. The original organisation was probably 3x150/3x150/(2x150/1x10cmK18) batteries per battalion (the latter being the standard heavy battalion of the motorised infantry/Panzergrenadier/Panzer divisions. With an all 150 equipment other than the K18, this would not make a lot of sense.

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by JasonC:

Incidentally, I suspect you already are aware the 4th FJ was formed from a cadre from the 2nd FJD (2 battalions), but the bulk of the men were *Italian* paras, from the disbanded Dembo and Folgore parachute divisions. Serving under German officers etc.

Yep, saw that, although Feldgrau.com says it was 3 battalions from 2 FJ (I./FJR.2, II./FJR.6 and I./Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment 1). I am assuming that even though the majority were Italians the TO&E would have been identical to any other German FJ unit.

To point out what I am sure is obvious to Andreas but may not be to all, the 10 cm K18 used the same gun carriage as the 15 cm FH, and is a weapon of comparable size. Smaller diameter bore, long barrel. So there is significant interoperability, in all but the ammo supply department.