Which mods?

Im coming back into the Combat Mission fold. I'm waiting on CMBB special edition and CMAK.

Ive seen some greta mods recently. The quality is outstanding.

SO can you name some modders who's work is a must have. Ive seen Gautrek and MickyD's which are amazing!

Ive never really understood CMOS so I'd rather overwrite the BMPS. HAving to choose mods everytime you play would drive me nuts.

Finally I remember a GD uniform mod. IF I install this will all my German Infantry then have a GD uniform?

Thanks for the help.

[ March 27, 2006, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Wodin ]

Im coming back into the Combat Mission fold. I'm waiting on CMBB special edition and CMAK.

Ive seen some greta mods recently. The quality is outstanding.

SO can you name some modders who's work is a must have. Ive seen Gautrek and MickyD's which are amazing!

Ive never really understood CMOS so I'd rather overwrite the BMPS. HAving to choose mods everytime you play would drive me nuts.

Finally I remember a GD uniform mod. IF I install this will all my German Infantry then have a GD uniform?

Thanks for the help.

[ March 27, 2006, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Wodin ]

I've modified most of my CMBB a couple of years ago, and recently modded most of my CMAK.

I created a 'mod-test mission' with most of the vehicles and guns available for the major sides across the years (by changing the date in the parameters area and going back to unit selection area) and a few of each terrain type.

Gradually over time I browsed cmmods.com using the 'unit type' list and compared the screen shots of different mods for units and terrain, and download my favourite ones.

Over about 4 months I have installed mods for most vehicles, much of the terrain (including gridded ground tiles - great for seeing the contours), many sound effects, the in-game interface/orders, and even the opening music and splash screen graphic. It's a great improvement to the 'vanilla' originals, and adds to my experience of playing them!

As I went through cmmods.com , some authors I picked regularly, but many were once-offs.

I downloaded all the snowy winterised vehicle mods for all sides, then started on non-winterised. For the Germans, I downloaded grey versions for the 'lesser' vehicles, and then hand-picked mods for many vehicles. For the Allies, I downloaded 'dusty' versions for the lesser vehicles, and then hand-picked. I found 'mod packs' (eg flak packs) good because it was easy to mod multiple units at a time, and standardised the look somewhat.

I haven't modded the infantry or crews, because I don't think they have as big a graphical impact. I think that the infantry mods change all of the particular 'branch' of the side modded.

As for the terrain mods, I selected with two goals: realistic looking, and medium to small size. Some mods warn of possible slow-down to performance because they're so hi-res.

One thing I found helpful was installing the mod bmp's using a picture viewer program like "ACDSee", which shows both the old and new file and allows you to choose to over-write it or skip to the next one. If I was unsure about a mod, I would copy the mod files and paste them into the bmp folder. I would then choose skip for the files to get a comparative preview without actually overwriting the bmps. I did periodically back up the wav and bmp folders, but never had to restore anything.

Finally, once I'm completely happy with the results, I'll zip the bmp folder and burn it to disk in case I ever need to re-install the games.

I've modified most of my CMBB a couple of years ago, and recently modded most of my CMAK.

I created a 'mod-test mission' with most of the vehicles and guns available for the major sides across the years (by changing the date in the parameters area and going back to unit selection area) and a few of each terrain type.

Gradually over time I browsed cmmods.com using the 'unit type' list and compared the screen shots of different mods for units and terrain, and download my favourite ones.

Over about 4 months I have installed mods for most vehicles, much of the terrain (including gridded ground tiles - great for seeing the contours), many sound effects, the in-game interface/orders, and even the opening music and splash screen graphic. It's a great improvement to the 'vanilla' originals, and adds to my experience of playing them!

As I went through cmmods.com , some authors I picked regularly, but many were once-offs.

I downloaded all the snowy winterised vehicle mods for all sides, then started on non-winterised. For the Germans, I downloaded grey versions for the 'lesser' vehicles, and then hand-picked mods for many vehicles. For the Allies, I downloaded 'dusty' versions for the lesser vehicles, and then hand-picked. I found 'mod packs' (eg flak packs) good because it was easy to mod multiple units at a time, and standardised the look somewhat.

I haven't modded the infantry or crews, because I don't think they have as big a graphical impact. I think that the infantry mods change all of the particular 'branch' of the side modded.

As for the terrain mods, I selected with two goals: realistic looking, and medium to small size. Some mods warn of possible slow-down to performance because they're so hi-res.

One thing I found helpful was installing the mod bmp's using a picture viewer program like "ACDSee", which shows both the old and new file and allows you to choose to over-write it or skip to the next one. If I was unsure about a mod, I would copy the mod files and paste them into the bmp folder. I would then choose skip for the files to get a comparative preview without actually overwriting the bmps. I did periodically back up the wav and bmp folders, but never had to restore anything.

Finally, once I'm completely happy with the results, I'll zip the bmp folder and burn it to disk in case I ever need to re-install the games.