ahistorical dilemma

Originally posted by Philippe:

Have you tried taking screenshots and pasting them together in Paint? Crude, but effective.

yes but printscreen doesn't seem to capture the image at the darn Italian website???

someone in the thread said he used "screenprint32 v3.5 and it saves it pretty good."

does anyone know if screenprint32 is freeware or feeware?

WOMBATS AT GNEP: I agree with the general comments at the beginning of the thread--we need to give designers slack. If a scenario has problems with the map and O.B. then it stands as a challenge for the next designer to come along and improve on it. As each designer trys his hand at a particular battle he has learned from those who have gone before, and each design (hopefully) gets better and better.

I'm very forgiving of a ahistorical map as long as it was carefully designed with natural looking undulations of land and potential avenues of advance.

Originally posted by simovitch:

I need to share a pet peeve.

*** SNIP ***

The main reason I bought this game was to get play (and develop) some faithful reconstructions of the schmegg offensive battles.

Well... You gets whats you pays for!

Now, to reply:

1) Your peeve is why I now always make fictional or "semi-historical" battles. Personlly I don't think I could call my battles "historical" because I don't have time to do the proper research.

2) Many historical battles wouldn't be "enjoyable" to play. The Germans were usually vastly outnumbered by the Allies and the Russians. For most battles, a true measure of victory would be to compare your casualty rate against actual allied (or axis) casualty rates of the actual battle, or to measure your sides progress vs. the acutual progress of the battle. Kinda boring, for me, at least.

3) Finally, at the end of a long week of lawyering, I need an escape. What better way than blowing stuff up?

Review every scenario that you play, or even if you decide not to play it because it looks like from Disneyland. Give advice for sources if you know any.

Historical-semihistorical-fictional is difficult to be accurate about. You're quite unlikely to ever achieve total historicality, and usually you are more worried about making it somewhat balanced and with historical results. But as long as these deficiencies are only minor, I think it's fair to call it historical. If the sources are scantier, it becomes semi-h. If the only 'source' is a sentence or paragraph long description of the engagement, the result can still be credible if the designer is well-acquinted with the usual OOB's and geography of the area, but the result is nevertheless fictional, only inspired by real events.

Originally posted by rune:

I am consulting with JonS to make a New Zealand scenario in Italy, but the river crossing I was going to do mentions several "brisk firefights". When information was dug up, the "brisk firefight" lasted 5 minutes and the Germans withdrew. So, we are still working on it, but on hold temporary as I have been busy with other things here.

Jon, Orsonga [sp?] sounds good, I'll follow up with you when things slow a little.

Rune

Rune and JonS

Having been to Sangro/Orsogna battlefields last year, and currently writing the battlefield guide I would be interested to hear your plans. I have around a hundred photos of the area that may help you...

CM scenarios are tough to get right because there is very little information available down to the scale at which we're playing. It's very rare that the exact OOB for a battalion, much less company, size engagement is recorded. This is especially true as has been pointed out because units were very often "ad hoc" and bore no resemblance to what was recorded in the regimental history or standard TO+E. So if wombats are present, don't worry so much, and realize that despite anything you've read, they could have been present. Even first-hand accounts are not always that accurate.