Holy Jumping Nazis Batman! It's a Crete Invasion Mod!

AndrewTF

Now posted at the CM Mod Datebase, new uniforms for the German Fallschirmjäger and Gebirgsjäger in CMAK Crete scenarios. Adapted initially from my CMBB German uniform mods but much improved over those!

The only issue is that I've extended the jump smock pattern down on to the leg BMP to simulate the "pant legs" in the smock and you can see a bit of that pattern in the soldiers' knees from time to time. No biggie to me, but I thought I'd warn you.

Here are the FJ, all posed for a screenshot smile.gif

crete_fj.jpg

FJ company/battalion HQ. I decided to give him blue pants. Why? Because I could, dammit! tongue.gif Note rank insignia on right sleeve. The platoon HQ in the other shot has something similar, though harder to see.

fj_co.jpg

Gebirgsjäger

gebirgs.jpg

What's that on the officer's cap? Let's take a closer look...

gebirgs_detail.jpg

An Edelweiss pin! Of course it's mirrored on both sides of the cap, but you don't mind, do you? smile.gif

Andrew

These look great. Awesome attention to detail and skillful artwork. I guess you are not going to use photos anymore for modding? Only hand-drawing? It does have a certain appeal, but I prefer more "realistic" look I get with my mods from bits and pieces of high-res photos.

Have you thought of making a "dusty/dirty" variant of uniforms? That would be smashing.

Yeah, baby, yeah

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Andrew

These look great. Awesome attention to detail and skillful artwork. I guess you are not going to use photos anymore for modding? Only hand-drawing? It does have a certain appeal, but I prefer more "realistic" look I get with my mods from bits and pieces of high-res photos.

Have you thought of making a "dusty/dirty" variant of uniforms? That would be smashing.

Yeah, baby, yeah

I use some photos here and there--for insignia and stuff that would be pointless to draw. Overall I find that hand drawing (or rendering or painting or whatever you want to call it) in Photoshop gives me a lot more control over how things look. And of course Photoshop gives me the tools to make them look, IMHO, nearly photorealistic. Take a look at some of the field gear on the German uniforms and I think you'll see what I mean.

Overall, working with photos is a pain, as you have to contend with variances in lighting, color, size, etc. (unless I had a big militaria collection to photograph myself, but I don't). This way everything is just the way I want it. smile.gif

If someone wants to make a "dusty/dirty" variation on the uniforms, then go ahead! I have them the way I like them, so I probably won't do anything else to them.