Wasp carriers-totally useless?

First time playing with a 1945 British rifle division. Boy was I excited to see that you get a ton of flame throwers and six wasp FT carriers. However, it is my sad experience that the wasp carrier is totally useless and porked. If you move within rage of any suitable target-even if the target is well suppressed, the wasp will usually take some rifle fire, then button up and do nothing. Apparently you have to be unbuttoned to fire the FT but, in truth, you will never be in range and unbuttoned. I just checked on the web and the FT on a wasp is a bow mounted weapon-not an exposed coax weapon and should be able to fire when buttoned up. Not in this game, I have six totally useless carriers instead.

In fact in real life the wasp was a very effective weapon and much feared by opposing troops. As an old Squad Leader player, I am used to running amok with these things. In CMAK they just do not work worth a crap.

Or, am I missing something?

My Wasps will fire when buttoned. What are you doing with yours?

If you drive them up unbuttoned, chances are they'll get a crew casualty, which is always treated as being the gunner.

Provided you keep the crew intact, you've still got to make sure that you're not hull down, as this will block the Line of Fire of the bow mounted flame gun.

I love the little critters.

Find the target you want to flame, BUTTON the crew, FAST move to within range and be in position at the end of the turn.

Next ORDERS Phase, AREA FIRE the spot you want hot with the ouchy-flame and you are in business. You might also want to plot a complex "REVERSE to safety" route (adding up to 30 seconds or so of command delay) that gives the WASP enough time to squirt out a few Hades-helpings of hurt, and then trundle on back to safety.

smile.gif

Gpig

I recall in CMBO Wasp was so effective its overuse was considered gamey. People positively HATED a half dozen wasps on the loose setting the map on fire!

I don't really know if i've played with Wasps in CMAK. Maybe they intentionally dialed-down Wasp's effectiveness after the complaints.

The original poster's Wasp is probably not only buttoned but suffered a crew casualty. With one crew casualty CM Wasps won't fire anymore.

In CMBB and CMAK you have a much larger chance of crew casualties in thin AFVs from smallarms than in CMBO, so there you go.

No, I am talking about full unhurt crews that are buttoned. I set to area fire a position and they won't fire when buttoned. I got three of them left. I will double check the crew quality. Most are regular or veteran and I don't think I am hull down. Perhaps is it because I am targeting the carriers with the crew unbottoned and then as soon as they take fire they are buttoning up and losind LOS to the target. I will try sending them in to range while buttoned. Maybe that will make a difference. They are pretty thin skinned. One got knocked out by a MMG from the rear.

Ok, I stand corrected. The correct way to use them is to button them up before closing with the enemy.

Tried four of em against two companies of Pz Grenadiers and they ate (fried) them for lunch. Totally vicious. I am begging my opponent to let me play the late war Brits again.