Very early Normandy building mod preview

Yes that looks like Caen-stone buildings, very good in fact. I worked on a Normandy mod for CMBO myself - for years - so I know what a hassle it is to get those rocks to look good, with the two different stretching of bmp on sides and front. Not to mention that cornerstone you've got there, very good. Can't remember how many curses I spent on trying to make those fit corners like that.

(when Maguas appeared I gave up my project, btw)

Seems to be a glassdoor as frontdoor on picture 2 there. Would perhaps fit better on a commercial building, like a shop or so? Just a sugegstion, I seem to recall there were a lot of sturdy wooden doors on the farmhouses, many coloured, like grassgreen and so. With heavy iron handles and so on.

Yeah please do go on. That was the easy part smile.gif (yes I am kidding and yes I know what I am kidding about) Now for the Honfleur "Tall Heavy buildings" smile.gif In my (failed) project I divided the fronts of the large heavy buildings into three, graphically only of course, to create the thin, tightly packed houses typical of older Normandie (indeed typical of any older European city). Used the bright colours too, you know the blue and red and so that they use. Worked well but of course it forced the same colour on all side elements.

And in my personal opinion (I am about to blaspheme) one is more helped by converting the High Hedge to a high stone wall instead of bocage, easily done for a person handy with the stone such as you. There is just no way to recreate a Norman rural village without the high, heavy stone walls. The bocage can be simulated in so many other ways. In reality it looks like low treelines anyway.

Well here I go. What I meant was yes, do go on. Were you planning a building mod or a complete Normandy mod?

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Yes that looks like Caen-stone buildings, very good in fact. I worked on a Normandy mod for CMBO myself - for years - so I know what a hassle it is to get those rocks to look good, with the two different stretching of bmp on sides and front. Not to mention that cornerstone you've got there, very good. Can't remember how many curses I spent on trying to make those fit corners like that.

(when Maguas appeared I gave up my project, btw)

Seems to be a glassdoor as frontdoor on picture 2 there. Would perhaps fit better on a commercial building, like a shop or so? Just a sugegstion, I seem to recall there were a lot of sturdy wooden doors on the farmhouses, many coloured, like grassgreen and so. With heavy iron handles and so on.

Yeah please do go on. That was the easy part smile.gif (yes I am kidding and yes I know what I am kidding about) Now for the Honfleur "Tall Heavy buildings" smile.gif In my (failed) project I divided the fronts of the large heavy buildings into three, graphically only of course, to create the thin, tightly packed houses typical of older Normandie (indeed typical of any older European city). Used the bright colours too, you know the blue and red and so that they use. Worked well but of course it forced the same colour on all side elements.

And in my personal opinion (I am about to blaspheme) one is more helped by converting the High Hedge to a high stone wall instead of bocage, easily done for a person handy with the stone such as you. There is just no way to recreate a Norman rural village without the high, heavy stone walls. The bocage can be simulated in so many other ways. In reality it looks like low treelines anyway.

Well here I go. What I meant was yes, do go on. Were you planning a building mod or a complete Normandy mod?

Cheerio

Dandelion

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. smile.gif

Yeah, those stones and corner pieces took a long time to get right. I'll see if I can come up with a different door for the second one.

Does that pulley thingie I put up in the loft of the barn look out of place?

I'm still not sure if I'll make the tall heavy buildings as one, or several different sections. I'd like to keep all the heavy buildings with a stone exterior for easier recognition of building type.

I'm just planning on doing the buildings. They'll take a long time by themselves.