Off topic: My Xmas USA wish - Sony DVD Recorder

WineCape

Bald one, have patience, will ya?

Yup, it's that time of the year again, and my wish list has just been updated. Maybe U can help, maybe not. I’m looking for the new SONY DVD recorder (product code: RDR-HX900).

Problem 1:

They cost the equivalent of $1,500+ here in South Africa, and they are not readily available. In the USA they go for $799.00 and less. I can buy one on Amazon.com online, but they cannot freight them to SA, probably something to do with the DVD zonal restrictions, which brings me to the second problem:

Problem 2:

Is it possible to find a SONY RDR-HX900 in the USA that is hardwired/programmed to be “zone free/multi-zoned” so it can play any DVD from any regional/world zone? I don’t think USA online retail shops will be of much help here, unless you phone them direct and ask about the multi-zone capability specifically.

I’ve phoned SONY South Africa and the marketing manager say it’s possible to change them from e.g. Zone 1 (USA) to zone free/multi-zone, but SONY themselves will not do it here. If you can find a zone free/multi-zoned RDR-HX900, could you help me out via the following procedure:

1) I’ll bank transfer the cost of the RDR-HX900 unit to your account, the freight charge to your USA address (if it needs to be delivered) as well as the packaging/onforwarding air freight cost to me in South Africa beforehand.

2) Since it is a Xmas gift for me wife (and for my 2 daughters to play their Walt Disney DVD movies - moi will use it certainly too!) it will be appreciated if it could reach me before the actual big day.

Anybody able to help out here on the forum?

Sincerely,

Charl (WineCape)

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Co-creator & Sponsor of the following Combat Mission tournaments:

</font>

Wine donations send to the following for contributions to Combat Mission:

</font>

PS: Did I mention 6 bottles SA wine as extra incentive for your help? And no, this is no Nigerian business scheme.

[ November 22, 2004, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

I did a quick search and found nothing near me mentioning multi-zone. I found a link for places in the U.K. that sell them, the lowest was for 539 Pounds.

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/100304323/11210127.html

I'll keep looking in my neighborhood....

Edit:

More web search results tell me that my local stores don’t carry it. There are a few places in country but it seems you can only pre-order. The earliest it will be in stock is Nov. 26th.

Again, I think your best bet is someone from the U.K

Here’s one for 526 Pounds:

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/224467/details

Maybe they’ll ship to S.A.

-after all aren’t you guys related or something ;)

[ November 22, 2004, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Ted ]

I may be able to help you.

There are many electronics stores here in New York City that specialize in selling electronics to foreign tourists, and carry the multi-zone versions.

It might be kind of a job finding the exact model you're after, though -- most of these places are smaller stores that don't have printed catalogs or websites I can search -- what you see on the shelves is what you get.

There are several of these stores in the general area of my office, though, and I've got nothing else productive to do with my lunch break, so I'll go see if I can find the model you're after.

Cheers,

YD

Ted, Yankee, much appreciated:

Yankee, you seem to be on the correct track with regard to multi-zoned units:

In essence, and as I understand it, if I buy the SONY DVD recorder in the USA, the unit will (probably) be coded/zoned to only play DVD software that has the USA zone specification (USA=Zone 1) on it. Thus I probably will NOT be able to play South African DVD’s on the USA-bought DVD recorder. Is this assumption correct? Since I want to play South African DVD’s (legally bought here in South Africa), I suppose it’s best to cover this issue with the SONY electronics seller in the USA by: -

Phoning SONY retailers directly (online retailers or brick-and-mortar Sony dealers) to ask if the SONY RDR-HX900 can be changed to a zone-free/multi-zone unit – and if so, whether this can be done before buying (less trouble to you) or after buying the unit. With regard to the latter, according to SONY SA, they are aware that it can be done through a second party electronics shop, but SONY is obviously duty-bound not to disclose these electronic dealers, whatever there reason.

I doubt whether online retailers are aware that the SONY RDR-HX900 is probably zoned only for USA DVD playback. But then, they might be able to help you…

Thus I need you to ascertain: Is the RDR-HX900 a multi-zoned/zone-free unit (can it play legitimate DVD’s bought in South Africa), if not, where can it be changed (can the online or offline retailer do it themselves?) and if not, how do you go about changing it at a second electronics dealer?

PS: I know that if I want to buy DVD’s software online from a USA website, I must specify specifically that I want a “zone-free” DVD, otherwise the software will not play on any South African hardware.

Much appreciated in advance.

Charl

Okay...moving out of the Peng thread now. ;)

Alright...consider me a bulldog with a rope toy. I grab hold and won't let go. ;)

Try this one. smile.gif

RDR

Looks like it's in the UK somewhere, though, so you might have to get one of the Brits here to help out. If not and it's what you are after, I've got a couple friends in the UK who might be willing to help you with this. smile.gif

GAH! Just got off the phone with a local electronic repair/service place.

He's not certain how to switch it to the Region coding you're after, but thinks there's some adaptor that will do the trick.

He's asked that I call him this afternoon to give him time to do some research and see if he can find something out.

grrr!

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

GAH! Just got off the phone with a local electronic repair/service place.

He's not certain how to switch it to the Region coding you're after, but thinks there's some adaptor that will do the trick.

He's asked that I call him this afternoon to give him time to do some research and see if he can find something out.grrr!

If it can only be purchased from the UK, no problem, I have a buddy there that can forward it for me. I'll await word on this adapter thingy majingy. Seems interesting.

NB:

Regarding the word "multi-region" in UK website referenced above: Mmmm... does it mean it plays ALL ZONES, or just 2 or 3 different ones?

Found here at this UK site.

"Multi region upgrades are performed on demand; We modify the product, at your request, from it's original region coding to bypass region code management. The upgrade will be compatible with most DVD titles currently sold (discs form Region 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. including discs which are classed as Region Code Enhanced (RCE) ). New release of software in the future may be incompatible; in which case a subsequent upgrade may be required. There will be an additional charge for this. This does not affect any other statutory rights you may have."

But close to $1,100 not much of a saving compared to the SA versions ($1,200 the cheapest here), nor beating the USA online websites going below $799. If a UK retailer can change the unit to multi-zone, surely some USA retailer can do the same? Eternal hope springs to the fore.

Will check here again in 14 hours time. Have to officiate a pro football match first, then some clear-headed sleep. Back soon and again, much appreciated so far for the calls!

[ November 22, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Originally posted by Lars:

Gah, you're doing better than me, Moraine! I can't even find a shop that'll do it!

We live in a toss and replace society these days. Nobody fixes these damn things anymore. :mad:

Too bad we can't just toss and replace you.!

I guess the Global Economy is down the tubes if every country has its own DVD format, Ha!.

OK, Back from lunch. Didn't have much luck with the stores right around the office, so I called a large consumer electronics store here in NY where I buy most of my stuff. They have a very knowledgable sales staff, so their info is usually pretty good.

According to them, the Sony RDR-HX900 is NOT available in a multi-zone version directly from SONY at all. In fact, they do not know of any DVD recorders similar to the HX900 available in a multi-zone version.

So I can get you an RDR-HX900 for $800, probably less. But apparently multi-zone HX-900s do not exist. Or at least, they don't exist straight out of the box.

As has already been noted, an electronics technician can probably change the Zone code on a Zone 1 HX900 bought here in the US to whatever Zone SA is, and possibly even to multi-zone. It seems to me that it wouldn't make much sense to have this modification done here, though, since I'd have no way of testing it to make sure it worked properly (I don't own any SA DVDs!), and at least if the mod was done in SA, you'd be able bring it back to the shop if there was any problems.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

YD

Winecape, Patience is indeed a virtue, but since when have you guys known me to be virtuous? Anyway, best to move this to the General Forum. You will probably get a better cross section of reponses there anyway although I also sent you an email detailing some *issues8 you might encounter with this idea...

Madmatt