The Vines! The Vines! Those !^&@&^^%@!!! Vines!

Has anyone noticed the outstanding concealment that vines have to offer?

I just played "A Mountain Retreat" twice (PBEM), and both times the attacker managed to get within 30-50m of my defensive position (IE to the edge of the vines) completely undetected.

It's something that scenario designers need to be careful of, lest they inadvertently give the attacker a rather unexpected advantage!

GaJ.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Has anyone noticed the outstanding concealment that vines have to offer?

I just played "A Mountain Retreat" twice (PBEM), and both times the attacker managed to get within 30-50m of my defensive position (IE to the edge of the vines) completely undetected.

It's something that scenario designers need to be careful of, lest they inadvertently give the attacker a rather unexpected advantage!

GaJ.

Actually, concealment in vineyards terrain is about the worst possible in the game. I have not played this scenario so I don't know what exactly the terrain looks like, but you are likely doing something wrong if you couldn't spot him that close, even if he was sneaking. If sneaking on a clear day, you should be able to spot him with ease up to 125 meters out. If he's moving on a clear day you should be able to spot him from 235 meters out.

Are you sure you had LOS while he moved up through the vineyard? i.e. he was sneaking up a slope?

Weather and time of day have a huge impact on spotting. Was it raining? night? foggy?

Were you "hiding" your squads that could see? Never hide your squads on defense unless the enemy is right on top of you. Keep them up with small cover arcs so they won't fire. This way they will remain unseen all the same, and they can see.

The direction you're rotated also makes a big difference in spotting. If you're even facing sideways to an approaching enemy your ability to spot him is reduced significantly. Make sure your "eyes" are up and covering all directions.

[ March 13, 2004, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Walpurgis Night ]

BTW, it was raining, I was hiding but facing the right way. I had good-medium LOS over the whole approach area. IE his men walked right under my light blue spotting line without me seeing them.

This "Don't hide, vines are poor concealment" is something that warrants a test, methinks!

(Scrabbles away to fire up the scenario editor...)

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

It makes sense that they are poor _cover_, but my experience in A Mountain Retreat was that they are excellent _concealment_.

Still - this is all talk: I will try it out when I have a moment.

BTW, what is the thinking on WP's advice not to hide on defense? Goes against my instincts!!

Treeburst has it. Run your own tests if you like to see. Basically, unless you are defending positions without foxholes in vineyards, wheatfields, brush, or rocky (poor concealment terrain), you want to keep your defenders up at all times to "see". Give them tiny forward cover arcs to keep them from firing. Do this with EVERYTHING . . AT guns, HMGS, whatever. You will not be spotted, unless you open fire, or unless the enemy gets within 10-20 meters.

Hope that helps.