6 pounder ap v tiger?

well. this isnt so contraversioul if at all(excuse spelling). but i found an interesting link on the axis history forum. its about the performence of the 6 pounder v tiger with hvap(not apcr up propellanted ap!)(again sorry for spelling im dyslexic no joke!).

just general thoughts and plus any other info how did apcbc fair? from one site ive lost i saw a table that said l50 6 pounder ap penetrated 135mm at 100 yards and 105mm at 500 yards, whereas apcbc penetrates 115mm at 100 yards but 110mm at 500 yards. is this true? plus i also read because of the apcbc shell's manufacture it penetrated less at closer ranges but still did more physical damage. is this true? plus general thoughts. oh and it would be nice for one of the treads i start not to turn into a flame pit if thats okay?

doesnt realy answer my question. that is a good post. but thats for the l43 6 pounders not the l 50. note the muzzle velocity. plus it doesnt give any performence other than that in the game. and i have knocked out tigers frontaly in game. im talking about real life performence.

sorry just re read it. but the post is in contradiction to much i have read. not just on this site. more than a few tigers were knocked out by 6 pounder in north africa. some frontaly so i believe they can. just wondering other thoughts. but thanks for the reply wicky.

In Jentz's 'Tigers in Combat' he had some very interesting shots showing a hulk Tiger hull peppered with 6 pdr shot. Gives you a renewed respect for the little 6 pdr! That's one reason why 6 pdr Churchills could still be found mixed into 75mm gun units up through war's end. it was a superior door-knocker.

Generically, your stats looks like other allied gun comparisons of HVAP or sabot rounds with 'normal' APC rounds. HVAP has a great initial velocity and its narrow diameter tungsten core concentrates all its energy into a small spot. But the round is disproportionately affected by drag and loses a lot of its energy in flight.

Since the account is originally off another forum the HVAP designation might've been a simple typo for otherwise accurate stats.

76mm HVAP was a tungsten sabot round like 57mm APDS, but the light metal sabot didn't get discarded, it stayed attached for the ride. The closest modern equivalent may be some medium caliber autocannon rounds like .50 cal SLAP (You wouldn't want to fire over the heads of your troops if you were raining tiny metal sabot pieces down on them! ). From accounts, HVAP and APDS seem to have had fairly similar problems with accuracy, range, etc.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

76mm HVAP was a tungsten sabot round like 57mm APDS, but the light metal sabot didn't get discarded, it stayed attached for the ride.

Are you talking about what I've always understood to be called APCR (Armour Piercing Composite Rigid) rounds? Are HVAP and APCR one and the same or have I got my terminology way off the mark?

Originally posted by Doodlebug:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

76mm HVAP was a tungsten sabot round like 57mm APDS, but the light metal sabot didn't get discarded, it stayed attached for the ride.

Are you talking about what I've always understood to be called APCR (Armour Piercing Composite Rigid) rounds? Are HVAP and APCR one and the same or have I got my terminology way off the mark? </font>