Water cooled MG jamming in CM

Again, there were a lot of topic complaining about the high jam frequency of water cooled MG such as M1917 or Vickers.

When it comes to explain why those MG jam as much as air cooled in CM , I don't have a complete answer.

So, are there any reasons which explain the rate of jam of those MG in CMx1 series?

Darkmath,

Unless there was some problem with Vickers MGs in the desert of which I'm unaware, IMO, the weapons

got screwed, seeing as how they were renowned for reliability. In WW I, twelve fired continuously for 48 hours, with only a few stoppages, in order to deny an important piece of ground to the Germans. Of course, they went through lots of water and ammo!

Regards,

John Kettler

Sometime, I heard someone from a MG crew shouting "Reload!" while the ammo point didn't state as JAM.

From tests made by some ppl on this board, I would say, the jamming frequency is the same for all MG. If that so,there is not different jamming algorithm in the BTS's coding.

However, anyone notice difference between water cooled and air cooled MGs in the game?

[ July 31, 2006, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Darkmath ]

Yeh, I recently played my first campaign in awhile and I was noticing the water-cooled MGs were jamming just as often as the air-cooled, myself. One gamey problem has been offset by a gamey benefit, though. I noticed the water-cooled 7.62mm mg far outranged the air-cooled 7.62mm mg. Don't know if there's a reason for this - maybe the heavy tripod it fires from.

Jamming in CM does not represent a barrel change. Barrel changing is part of the normal sustained firing procedure on an MG42, and is taken into account in the firepower rating.

Jamming represents something bad and unplanned happening to the MG; there are may possible problems that can happen with the feed mechanism, the recoil mechanism, etc. . . some of these can take quite a long time to clear.

Since certain types of jams, such as a stuck cartride in the chamber, could be solved (at least temporarily) by simply changing the barrel You could reaonably argue that a higher proportion of jams on an MG which has a QCB, like the MG42, should be cleared quickly. But even with the QCB, there are still other types of jams that would take a while to clear.

The Vickers may be "robust" but there are any number of factors that might cause it to stop firing for a minute - which is somethign quite differnet from it breaking.

FWIW, I agree, Jam rates should probably be lower for Water-cooled MGs like the Vickers, and MGs that have a QCB, like the MG42.

Just pointing out that no MG is immune to jamming. The Vickers can jam, and jam bad. So can the MG42. Maybe they're somewhat less likely to do so than most other MGs, but there sholuld aways be some chance of a nasty ass jam, that takes several minutes to clear.

Honestly, my bigger complaint is that, when the MG jams, if you have a full MG team (4-6 men), the 2-5 men *not* working to clear the jam, somehow forget that they all have rifles, and just sit there and watch the gunner try to clear the jam. . .

I don't think there's any case for them to have adifferent jam rate - heavy build means things don't break as often - a rare occurrence anyway - and water cooling is there instead of quick-change barrels - both achieve the same thing.

for every case of Vickers firing for 245 hours in WW1 there's also a case of a section of Horchkiss doing somethign similar with infantry sitting around refilling their strips - I've got the account somewhere at home if ppl want to read it......

Originally posted by Darkmath:

It seems BTS keeps a generic jam rate fr all MG. I don't understand why.

Well, it's easy, that's why. And they don't have an endless stream of pseudo-grogs saying things like "Oh, the Brengewher Mk 5b.2 should have jam rate of 36.5%, not 37.2%. This game totally sux0r2!!!11!!one1! YOU'VE RUINED MY LIFE!!!11!1!oneoneone!!!"

Or sumfink.

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

The Vickers may be "robust" but there are any number of factors that might cause it to stop firing for a minute - which is somethign quite differnet from it breaking.

Exactly right. The type of barrel should have little to do with it, though the JAM in CM may actually represent a pause to change barrels or some other non-jam incident which requires a pause in order to fix.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Exactly right. The type of barrel should have little to do with it, though the JAM in CM may actually represent a pause to change barrels or some other non-jam incident which requires a pause in order to fix. </font>

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Darkmath:

It seems BTS keeps a generic jam rate fr all MG. I don't understand why.

Well, it's easy, that's why. And they don't have an endless stream of pseudo-grogs saying things like "Oh, the Brengewher Mk 5b.2 should have jam rate of 36.5%, not 37.2%. This game totally sux0r2!!!11!!one1! YOU'VE RUINED MY LIFE!!!11!1!oneoneone!!!"

Or sumfink. </font>