2004 CMAK (Infantry) KNOCKOUT TOURNAMENT

Gentlemen

The Blitzkrieg Wargaming club will shortly be starting the 2004 CMAK (Infantry) KNOCKOUT TOURNAMENT 'The Soft Underbelly'

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/read.php?f=4&i=19606&t=19606

CM Type: CMAK

Period: 1944

Maps: Either randomly generated, or Mirror Maps designed by me.

Forces: Infantry only.

Points per battle: 2000

Tournament type: Knockout

To Start: Late Oct 04.

All CM players are welcome to come and participate. You will need to join the Blitz club to do so however.

The tournament web site which is in the course of development is as follows:

http://www.667.hab.dsl.pipex.com/Wargaming/CM/2004-CMAK-Inf/2004-CMAK-Inf-Homepage.html

Vulture

Redwolf

They will be all be Meeting Engagement battles.

The maps will be generated by me prior to each round, and for the first round (only) will be downloadable to play-test on, just as soon as I've finished designing it.

A pleasure to correspond with you btw, I use your armour rules for CMBB. V good.

Cheers

Vulture

Kind regards

Glad you like my rules. When a CMAK patch is relased I hope I can do some for CMAK.

More questions:

How many flags will you post? Obviously that dictates whether the battles will be for grabbing land or for preserving force.

Did you consider a "capture-the-flag" type battle where the flags are not placed in the middle but both sides start out with an equal number of flags, so that they must take enemy flags without losing their own? In a knockout tournament an additional motivation can be provided in that player pairs who don't take flags from each other at all will not advance (e.g. no default victory by just sitting there and waiting for the 51:49 win).

Redwolf

At this stage I am still in the early stages of designing the first map. My current thoughts are to have 2 x 300pt flags already held by each side, and 1 x 100pt flag in the middle of the map.

I'm not sure about insisting that an opponents flag be taken, although I understand the point your making on this.

Could I enlist your help to check the map over when finished, before I upload it onto my web site for players to download and look over ?

Cheers

Vulture

Originally posted by Vulture-suc4:

At this stage I am still in the early stages of designing the first map. My current thoughts are to have 2 x 300pt flags already held by each side, and 1 x 100pt flag in the middle of the map.

I'm not sure about insisting that an opponents flag be taken, although I understand the point your making on this.

Could I enlist your help to check the map over when finished, before I upload it onto my web site for players to download and look over ?

I'd be happy to look. My email should be in my profile.

As it is, nobody will move, since the value of the flags is much lower than the unit knockout points. It is like a tank duel with two tanks in cover. Whoever moves first loses the game.

It's probably worth developing some ideas to combat that problem. I think that a capture-the-flag, or partial capture-the-flag, is a very interesting game, much more so than a plain ME, but it needs some thoughts to motivate people to actually try to take enemy flags.

Ideally, the player should gain the most benefit from making a decisive set of moves to wipe the opposite force off the map.

Why don't you play swiss rounds? It gives you more accurate results, and doesn't increase the number of rounds.

You don't have any additional overhead for the numer of players, except the caculating the swiss draw - but there are excel spread sheets that do that for you.

Basically swiss gives you better (best over a given number of rounds) results for a very minimal amount of extra work on your part.

Just make sure to give players the chance to drop after losing a round.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

Wow. What a spectacular idea for a tourney! All infantry! This will, no doubt, seperate the men from the boy who use uber tanks :D

Not sure if I can commit to this, but I'm curious regardless. When you say "infantry", do you mean the "infantry" setting (which includes all 'support' options, like AT guns)?

Yes, I propose using the 'Infantry' setting which restricts the purchases purely to Infantry, Support Weapons and a small amount of artillery.

I've run several Armoured Jousts recently which involved only tanks, so this tournament is the balance to those. I like running events which are different to the normal combined arms offerings :)

Vulture

Originally posted by Redwolf:

I'd be happy to look. My email should be in my profile.

As it is, nobody will move, since the value of the flags is much lower than the unit knockout points. It is like a tank duel with two tanks in cover. Whoever moves first loses the game.

It's probably worth developing some ideas to combat that problem. I think that a capture-the-flag, or partial capture-the-flag, is a very interesting game, much more so than a plain ME, but it needs some thoughts to motivate people to actually try to take enemy flags.

Ideally, the player should gain the most benefit from making a decisive set of moves to wipe the opposite force off the map.

Thanks for that Redwolf

I've mad some minor adjustments and added some extra flags. I'll send you the file to look at.

Cheers

Vulture

Originally posted by Cthulhu Dreams:

Why don't you play swiss rounds? It gives you more accurate results, and doesn't increase the number of rounds.

You don't have any additional overhead for the numer of players, except the caculating the swiss draw - but there are excel spread sheets that do that for you.

Basically swiss gives you better (best over a given number of rounds) results for a very minimal amount of extra work on your part.

Just make sure to give players the chance to drop after losing a round.

Not a bad idea, which I might try in the next tournament I run (probably CMBB). For the moment however, this will one will be a straight knockout.

Cheers

Vulture

BLITZKRIEG 2004 CMAK (Infantry) KNOCKOUT TOURNAMENT

Okay gentlemen

The time-scale for the Tournament is as follows:

This week will be used to further refine the map.

On Friday 22nd the map will be locked, at the same time I will E-Mail all those players who have expressed an interest to date, and ask them to confirm that they still wish to play.

On Wednesday 27th the draw will be made.

On Friday 29th Round 1 of the Tournament will start.

Cheers

Vulture

http://www.667.hab.dsl.pipex.com/Wargaming/CM/2004-CMAK-Inf/2004-CMAK-Inf-Homepage.html

Originally posted by Spears:

What happens now????

The current position is as follows:

All players who expressed an interest have been sent an E-Mail:

1. Advising that with 64 players there will be six knockout rounds and that the tournament is likely to take year to complete (assuming you make it through to the last round (chuckle)).

2. Asking them to confirm that they still wish to proceed.

Thus far we have had 4 players who have withdrawn and about a dozen replies are still outstanding. Three replacements have been found, so we still have one space at the moment.

(I have your confirmation that you wish to play)

I will be working out the draw today, and uploading it onto the site Wednesday.

The tournament is due to start as scheduled on Friday 29 Oct. I shall send an E-Mail out to all the players formally announcing the fact on that day.

Until then get some practice in on the map, and work out what your ideal force mix is.

Cheers

Vulture

• 3 months later...