Fire power values

When looking at the fire power figures for 100 metres it may state a firepower of 95. For a unit of a different makup it may state a fire power of 105 for the same distance.

The question is what does that really mean. What results may I expect, is it really worth even looking at these figures when the difference is so small?

Thanks in advance.

Remember if a squad is in the leadership range of an HQ unit with combat modifiers then they get a bonus to firepower as well. Sometimes what you see is not what you get as the bonus on top of a good officer can boost firepower by about 20 in some cases.

Then factor in the experience of the unit and put that on top. I would say it was worth paying attention to the number crunching.

Just my tuppence worth.

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

When looking at the fire power figures for 100 metres it may state a firepower of 95. For a unit of a different makup it may state a fire power of 105 for the same distance.

The question is what does that really mean. What results may I expect, is it really worth even looking at these figures when the difference is so small?

Thanks in advance.

It is probably not an absolute value that can tell you something. But comparing a 9 men Soviet SMG squad with a GE PzGren Squad, you will notice how to use either and which type of combat you will seek.

Little differences don't matter that much from my experience.

Note that the firepower is for a regular squad of that type. Experience - and thus combat bonus HQs, too - change the value. You only see this when targetting and noticing that your vets have a higher fp than the chart says.

Gruß

Joachim

It means that the unit in question generates X points of firepower (FP) at 100 meters. The unit FP rating is the sum of the individual FP ratings of the different weapons carried by the unit.

FP is an abstraction presented in numerical form of, among other things, the penetration, killing and suppressive performance of the weapon in question.

In general I would say that you will have good effect if you are able to deliver 100 points of FP into any kind of target. Remember that cover terrain will modify the amount of FP that reaches the target.

Why bother? There is about 10% difference between 95 and 105. You might not think that’s much to write home about, but in the end a 105 FP unit will beat a 95 FP unit, all other things being equal.

Besides, there are units that have much more FP at 100 meters, right now I can think of one that has 158... And though the difference is not that earth shattering at 100 meters it can be very much so at 40 meters, or indeed 500 meters.

So, in conclusion, these are definitely numbers you should keep an eye on...

M.

Since the design crew have never released the calculations on firepower, just think about it as a relative measure. 105 is ~ 10% bigger than 95%. It will deal out about 10% more pain. That said, with that kind of difference, ammo, position, morale, and a thousand other things will make a much bigger difference in the outcome of the engagement than FP. I wouldn't worry too much about it.