HSG Releases Battle for France Scenarios!!

The Historic Scenario Design Group, HSG for short, is releasing it's first group of scenarios on the Battle for France to the Scenario Depot. The first group will be available for download around 10am Central time 27 February.

The battles range from 6 June to 25 August over the French countryside of Normandy. The scenarios will cover over a dozen battles and at least three operations in the pack.

There will be about 5 scenarios a week released until the pack is completely released. There are still scenarios for the pack in playtest at The Proving Grounds if anyone is interested.

We hope that you enjoy them as much playing them, as we did making them.

Panther Commander

If someone from the cmbo days can help me sort it out, i have every bo building mod i can find. i am using and testing them all. basically i use the ones that i like. but what i dont know is which ones are correct for france as apposed to germany etc. ie red brick, gray stucco, tudor, dark rock lower walls.

see my pic from valley of trouble cmak at my website. i will put them up at cmmods if people want them.

i am currently using normandy subdued grass mod, some of toms tbm ardennes winter mod, etc

PC: Will the scenarios be uploaded as a "pack" or individually? If individually (which I'd recommend btw so that we can discuss individual ones) will they have a related naming scheme so that we'll know that they are part of your pack? Will the the name have numbering or dates as well so that we can play them in order?

These sound great, can't wait to dig into them! :D

Originally posted by GJK:

PC: Will the scenarios be uploaded as a "pack" or individually? If individually (which I'd recommend btw so that we can discuss individual ones) will they have a related naming scheme so that we'll know that they are part of your pack? Will the the name have numbering or dates as well so that we can play them in order?

These sound great, can't wait to dig into them! :D

These scenarios will prefaced with HSG BF. They will be released individually. Some are still in playtest on The Proving Grounds site. All of the scenarios released to the Scenario Depot have been run through The Proving Grounds first.

HSG does it's own playtesting but there is no such thing as too much playtesting. HSG uses the site for about 80-90% of our PBEM playtesting. A lot of the vs AI playtesting we do ourselves.

The Proving Grounds is a very valuable tool for us with over 1000 members currently it gives us a wide range of playtester talent to tap into.

We will be uploading them about 4 or 5 a week until we get them all finished.

Panther Commander

Playing HSG's "Inside Hell" now which reads in its description as:

"17 August 1944. The battle for the Falaise Pocket starts. The American 3rd Armored Division tries to cut into the pocket through the lines of the 1st SS Panzer Division."

This one looks like it's going to get bloody real quick! I'm playing it pbem with Charlie Kibler and we had some contacts on turn 1 (his forward scouts no doubt).

I've seen the discussions on The Proving Grounds that the Allies will have a rough time of it (I'm playing the U.S. in this one), we'll keep you posted of how ours turns out.

I'm sure you could always use some more playtests on this one though, so if anyone is interested, it can be found HERE.

The cmbo "conversion" to cmak seems to be picking up pace and that is great news. I played HSG's "careful planning" last night and it was a tight, fun little firefight.

I can live (albeit grudgingly) with the missing Pz VIB's Cromwells, etc. and even the Volksgrenadiers (by late 44 weren't they just inexperienced grenadier's with more SMG's and panzerfausts?).

junk2drive and others - i've seen the Italian boot icon on the interface replaced with a france icon or the "cross channel attack" icon. - splendid! this adds a bit more credibility to the "conversion". question - Which mod on the cmmods database carries these icons? are there any more planned by any of you modders?

also- great work on the building and other conversions junk. my favorite has always been panzertruppe's building from cmbo. looking forward to more.

Hopefully this will accellerate the re-write of some of the better scenarios from cmbo (you know who you are)

again great work HSG, junk2drive and the rest of you developers.

simovitch

Originally posted by simovitch:

The cmbo "conversion" to cmak seems to be picking up pace and that is great news. I played HSG's "careful planning" last night and it was a tight, fun little firefight.

I can live (albeit grudgingly) with the missing Pz VIB's Cromwells, etc. and even the Volksgrenadiers (by late 44 weren't they just inexperienced grenadier's with more SMG's and panzerfausts?).

junk2drive and others - i've seen the Italian boot icon on the interface replaced with a france icon or the "cross channel attack" icon. - splendid! this adds a bit more credibility to the "conversion". question - Which mod on the cmmods database carries these icons? are there any more planned by any of you modders?

also- great work on the building and other conversions junk. my favorite has always been panzertruppe's building from cmbo. looking forward to more.

Hopefully this will accellerate the re-write of some of the better scenarios from cmbo (you know who you are)

again great work HSG, junk2drive and the rest of you developers.

simovitch

Thanks for the review on Careful Planning. I appreciate it. There are several very good small scale battles in the pack.

Thanks for the overall comments as well. We work hard at getting it right.

Panther Commander

simo, your welcome, glad to share.

at cmmods, my 3rd armor pack has the nw euro map, utah mod has the cross channel map. keep in mind the are the same bmp number.

i will do a UI mod with those maps and some other stuff for people who dont want to dl a big file just for that.

yes panzertruppes buildings work after renumbering and look great. i have way too many peoples building mods to pick from and they all are great.

see the other thread about cmbo to cmak

Originally posted by junk2drive:

simo, your welcome, glad to share.

at cmmods, my 3rd armor pack has the nw euro map, utah mod has the cross channel map. keep in mind the are the same bmp number.

i will do a UI mod with those maps and some other stuff for people who dont want to dl a big file just for that.

yes panzertruppes buildings work after renumbering and look great. i have way too many peoples building mods to pick from and they all are great.

see the other thread about cmbo to cmak

I have the one from the 3rd Armored pack and it is great. Very good work.

Thanks again.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

The Historic Scenario Design Group, HSG for short, is releasing it's first group of scenarios on the Battle for France to the Scenario Depot. The first group will be available for download around 10am Central time 27 February.

The battles range from 6 June to 25 August over the French countryside of Normandy. The scenarios will cover over a dozen battles and at least three operations in the pack.

Funny, I though the “Battle for France” was a tad earlier - May 1940.

Maybe its a perspective thing.

Anyway good luck with the conversions.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by junk2drive:

i think the romans were there before that even

Ah but then it was called Gaul.

I guess its Winnie’s speech about the “Battle of France is over, the Battle of Britain is about to begin ...” that locks it in for me. </font>