Camera Position PBEM

When you send a PBEM turn that was completed with the camera pointing at a specific unit shouldn't the camera be pointing at that same unit when the return file is received?

I have an opponent that is telling me that he gets turns from that he knows are different camera positions than the ones he sent out. It seems that the turns are from one specific opponent and he doesn't want to insinuate anything but after hearing some of the details I was curious.

• 2 months later...

This is happening again.

One of my pbem opponents just informed me that the turns that he's getting back from me have the camera position different than when he sent it off.

Apparently this has just recently began to happen.

The game is CMAK and this install has never been patched by either 1.02 or 1.03.

I have another install of CMAK that had been patched early with 1.02 and now today 1.03. Though I don't know computers, I can't believe that the patch could possibly have anything to do with it.

I also recently did a format on my hd with all the yadda yadda yadda. Incidentally my CDROM has starting having difficulty recognizing CDs after the format/re-intall.

There's nobody out there that has ever had this happen to them before?

I know when using the scenario editor in preview that if you leave the camera off the map when you go back to the terrain editor it will reposition the camera after going back into preview.

Anybody?

I don't want to errode trust with this opponent. He's ideal in every way I can think except that he regularly whoops on me.

Yours is a regulare QB ? Because I vaguely remember having some sort of camera thing on operations. Never quite figured that one out, but the camera was back centred on my Battalion HQ. That's way back in good old CMBO days, and I figured that was like unit no 1 padlock or something.

Ask your opponent if he sees any constant behavior in the camera angle (like always on same unit, or always toward same flag, etc).

HTH

It is an operation. The first one we've played.

No, I'm not using pbem helper.

When it happened to me though the turns I got back were in fact centered on my first independant unit just the same way the computer lines them up in a QB before setup and as if I had immediately hit the + key to begin cycling through the units.

In fact, thinking now, the first time was an op too.

Thanks guys. I'm becoming convinced that it's the operation but its still strange in that it only happens with one of the two players.

First time it was me and now it's my opponent.

EDIT-

The operation is GP 10. Gemmano. I don't know who designed it yet because he picked it. It's really great so far. Deadly stuggle (and I mean struggle) for both sides.

[ November 20, 2004, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Akula2 ]

On a similar theme, I sometimes send out a turn with healthy units, and when I get the turn back, a tank may be destroyed. I notice this happens when I hear 'other stuff' going on as I'm either saving the game turn or just starting it. It has not happened in a while, but it does happen. It's almost like the game continues for 5 or so seconds.

Wild Snarker. I've never seen that ... yet. No target lines or anything on them?

Thanks all. I feel better about my current game.

I feel crappy about the other guy though. I'm ashamed to say I was very suspicious. It didnt help that his luck was uncanny over 3 games too. I sh.t you not, he drove a jeep through a 5m gun covered arc.

... yeah, I was convinced. I was also mistaken.

ah well, I guess it was just my turn to be the jerk. :(

Dunno. It never got off a shot but it did have an armored CA. It was quickly assimilated anyhow. Maybe he was spotted?

It was a German 50mm ATG thats setup zone was way too far foward at the start of the game and facing half a dozen T-34/85s and JS-?. He waited hoping for a side shot.

Ah well, I'm glad to have an answer to this question since it's come up again. I truly appreciate it.

I was playing a CMAK Op a while back, and I also noticed the opening camera shot for each turn would default back to a camera shot from the beginning of that particular battle (was never sure if it was from Set-up or the first turn, etc.). It just seemed to be stuck on that opening view... it had no effect on play.

For what it's worth.

Ken

Originally posted by Akula2:

Wild Snarker. I've never seen that ... yet. No target lines or anything on them?

Nope. I have no clue what happened. Sometimes I almost think the game skipped my 'view' phase and just dropped mr back into the orders phase. I'll have to watch it closely. I am using PBEM helper, so if I see it again I'll certainly have the before, during and after turns.