My tanks keep on dying

I have searched, no really I did...

I would like some advice on how to include my tanks in battle without them dying a quick and horrible death.

The AI always seem to be able to nail my tanks, I do not seem to use the right command when advancing.

As an example, I used hunt one day, the tank moves along, sees a little allied tnak, has a couple of shots then the tank disappears, my tank then looks the other way and the little allied tanks nails the crap out of it.

If I use contact, then it only takes a little bullet to stop the tank and waste anothe minute...

it has usually been my experience that tanks are a poor choice when you want to fight other tanks. in fact, i dont think that is what they were made for. they dont have alot of ammo, so they are not very good at fighting infantry either. i dont think they are very useful at all. i usually don't requisition any. maybe one. if you really want to defeat the enemy's tanks, buy some AT guns, wait till you can read the unit markings, then blow him up. then, when you advance your infantry, move your one tank, or several crappy tanks, up with the infantry. it will scare the hell out of his men, and they will run away, which is a perfect opportunity for you to machine gun him in the back, like the rotten pigs they are.

My two cents:

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

As an example, I used hunt one day, the tank moves along, sees a little allied tnak, has a couple of shots then the tank disappears, my tank then looks the other way and the little allied tanks nails the crap out of it.

Using your assets 'en masse' might prevent these annoying occurence, since the nasty little allied tank will get blown to bits by that other equally nasty >>put your favorite axis afv here<< advancing right next to the first one.

If I use contact, then it only takes a little bullet to stop the tank and waste another minute...

Contact with cover arc, as suggested by cpl. Carrot, is indeed useful and let you control the threat your tanks will react to.

Also, try protecting your moving units with overwatch, be it ATG, other AFVs, whatever you have that can succesfully engage and, if not destroy, at least suppress likely menace.

But I can well understand your concerns. As for me, at first, I was always quite mad about loosing armor. After all, tanks are pricey toys to loose, and hit the point count pretty bad when dying, not to mention getting your Panther G late blown after treating it with that sexy cool mod and trying it for the first time. tongue.gif

Not directly related, but still on the topic of 'loosing assets', here's an interesting quote, IMO:

War is synonymous of waste, [...] every positive action requires expenditure. The problem is to determine how, in space and time, to expend assets so as to achieve the maximum result." *
It's plain common sense when you think about it. Gaining initiative, getting a better tactical situation than one's opponent, inflicting him heavier losses, by loosing a tank, is a good trade.

HTH. Good game.

*sigh* time to take your pill Yoda. ;)

* Dwight D. Eisenhower, Crusade in Europe , New-York, Doubleday & Company, 1948. p.119.

I notice that when i set myself up for a 1-on-1 tank duel my tank never seems to get a first round hit... or a second round hit... or probably not a 3rd round hit! Plus there's usually this sickening pause while my tank does nothing before the opponent's first or second round kills me. Happened just last night when I was playing KV-85s vs Panthers (CMBB of course), several minutes wasted getting a clean side shot from some cover... and I died anyway!

The best way to beat the AI is to present him with at least two targets at once so you can kill him with one vehicle while he's killing your other.

[ October 04, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I have searched, no really I did...

I would like some advice on how to include my tanks in battle without them dying a quick and horrible death.

The AI always seem to be able to nail my tanks, I do not seem to use the right command when advancing.

If I use contact, then it only takes a little bullet to stop the tank and waste anothe minute...

While "covered arc" will take care of the "looks the other way" problem with located enemy AFV, the basic issue seems to be challenges on the move, advancing on unidentified opposition.

The drawback of the Hunt command you mention is relevant and serious. Due to the extremely slow turret traverse in the game. Use Hunt primarily for advancing against known opposition, and regulate using covered arc commands. Against unbrevealed oppsoition, when not possible to restrict covered arc, it is be preferrable to waste a minute (i.e. Advance to Contact) than to die.

Of course, it won't help you to mention that the guy sitting still is always at an advantage versus the guy moving, no matter what move command you use, as I presume you are advancing and must move anyway.

If forced to move, you need to keep a low line, i.e. not offer the enemy any ranged shots at all, keeping in gullies, behind treelines etc. Of course, the terrain will not always allow a low line, and smoke will not always be available to create one virtually, nor can you always use dust.

If possible, you scout ahead with infantry. A located enemy AFV - especially if he has not located your AFV - will be a lot easier to close in on.

Keep the AFV unbuttoned in spite of risks, it grows blind as a bat if you don´t.

As has been mentioned, AFV should not be deployed in less than platoon strength, all barrels pointing at the enemy. Of course, not all setups will provide you with a platoon of AFVs.

So what if the terrain is open, no smoke, no dust, no infantry and you must advance? Well if you can't seriously outgun the opposition then you get shot to pieces regardless of movement order. I always am.

Cheerio

Dandelion

The goal is simply numbers, used in co-operative positions. When you're on defence you're looking to bring mutually supporting AT guns to bear. On the offensive lead with infantry with armour in reserve. When enemy armour is uncovered maneuver your armour into position to engage the target from different angles, while minimising their exposure. In other words, don't lead with your jaw, but feel your opponent out with a few jabs, then deliver the knockout blow.

A couple days ago in a 'large town' game against a Panther I decided after a couple brew-ups to keep the buildings between me and the opponent's Panther. Maneuver around him. I eventually made it to the flags and the Panther didn't dare hunt me down in the confines of the narrow streets. Live and let live.

I have noticed that rapid loss of tanks seems to occur more often when playing as the allies. I am still quite new to the CM games, but if they are as realistic as they claim to be this is not a surprise.

German tank design was far ahead of our own - when the Germans captured a Churchill after the Dieppe fiasco they actually thought they had a captured an obsolete machine of a mid 1920's vintage!

They also refered to the Sherman as "the Tommy Cooker" because of it's tendency to burst into flames when hit. You might have to do what field commanders at the time had to do - rely on superior numbers to swamp the enemy tanks!

German AT guns were generally superb too, and seem to be best dealt with by mortar fire.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I notice that when i set myself up for a 1-on-1 tank duel my tank never seems to get a first round hit... or a second round hit... or probably not a 3rd round hit! Plus there's usually this sickening pause while my tank does nothing before the opponent's first or second round kills me. Happened just last night when I was playing KV-85s vs Panthers (CMBB of course), several minutes wasted getting a clean side shot from some cover... and I died anyway!

The best way to beat the AI is to present him with at least two targets at once so you can kill him with one vehicle while he's killing your other.

AI cheats, anyhow. After a while playing the AI becomes "cookie-cutter" tactics and you will be able to beat the AI at it's own game, literally. Not just beat it but whoop it bad! Even a human player with very little understanding of the game mechanics of CM can provide a very tuff match. Just practice and you'll get better.