Great job on the sounds!

Agua

Oh yeah!

It's amazing!

I was recently hovering over my Greyhound, and at that moment a Tiger tank brewed it up.

I heard a bunch of crewmen yell out in anguish and pain. But one guy REALLY caught my attention . . .

" . . .it's burning! No NO NOOOO AHHHHHHH!!!"

Left me thining about war in general. How terrifying it must be.

Yikes!

Amazing stuff.

Gpig

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

I'm playing Clash of Titans and there is in the background a howling wind which consistently sounds throughout the battle so far.

Actually that's not the wind at all; it's the sound my British crews make when their "armor" gets perforated yet AGAIN!! Curse those Italian bullies! :mad:

Jim's right, the sound of the wind and the desolation of the setting are very atmospheric. These men were incredibly brave just driving their vehicles off into the desert at all. The conditions all of these soldiers endured in North Africa go beyond my imagination, thankfully.

Ambient sounds were the last ones I did and took the most amount of effort of all the effects in CMAK.

I usually start with a *base* sound in stereo. For 0005000.exe it came from a large Sound Library collection that we own.

This particular sound was from a windy day recorded in the desert.

Next I layer other sounds on top of the original, which includes background artillery fire, explosions, extra wind noise.

Those layered effects are usually created ahead of time and I make several batches at once. This makes it easier for me to paste in groups of sounds at once.

With each batch of sounds, for example a artillery barrage, I try and visualize what it is I am trying to depict first. Then I use my sound editing software to create the proper reverb, echo and distance from the map that I am trying to convey.

For example, the night sound (and I have some new ones that will be in a mod in the future) has the artillery much further away from the listener than a day background. That is because at night I am trying to model artillery further behind the lines engaging in Harrasement and Interdiction type barrages.

Once I lay down the base sound, and then apply all my specific effects I play around with the stereo panning and layer on another level of flange, reverb, echo or whatever else to make it sound "Full". In some of my most complex sounds, there are in excess of a hundred layers or effects, all mixed together.

On average I can crank out a full set of weapon effects for a specific gun in a few hours. Each ambient sound took over a week of constant tweaking and mixing to get them to sound just right, or as close to how I wanted them to be as I could. ;)

I actually use this multilayered approach to all the sounds, including small arms. Even though I use real world recordings of weapons when available, I still have to remix them and add in extra effects to get the best sound that I can. Sometimes I also have to play around with the pitch and tempo in order to accurately match the cyclic rate of whatever gun I am audibly modeling.

For example, with the MG-42, if you listen closely you can hear the belt linkage and spent brass *tinkle* in a pile as the gun fires.

With the new M1 Garand sound you will occasionally hear the small cartridge clip "Ching" as it ejects after the final round has been fired.

CM is actually rather limited code wise in what it can do with sounds but I have come up with many tricks in order to create as much variety in the sounds as I could.

In CMX2, I am going to work with Charles very closely to bring the sound engine up to par with the high fidelity that the new graphics engine should have. But you'll have to wait to hear more on that... ;)

My one regret with CMAK is that we simply ran out of space and time to include all the sounds and effects I had wanted. I do plan on releasing some of these as Mods in the very near future but there were many ideas that would have had to been coded for specifically that would have been cool to do as well, but those will have to wait to get implemented at some other time.

Madmatt

[ December 08, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

May be attributing too much here to ya, but in one of the ambient recordings (the setting was desert / day) there was the occasional sound of an incoming artillery shell. It was so infrequent though, that I had to look around and replay the movie to determine if an spotting round had come in. Really adds to the FOW. Didn't know if that was done intentionally or not.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Hey Madmatt, did you see this thread about my ambient sound issue?

Does anyone know how I could copy the MG-34 and 42 sounds into CMBB?

There is no need to, they are the same as in CMBB. They were already good enough that there was no reason to redo them in CMAK.

Madmatt </font>

Originally posted by Salkin:

About that....Did you use the exact same sound for the Germans (I mostly think of the order yelling and shouts) as you did in CMBB or did you use some of the old ones and added lots of new ones ?

//Salkin

Great sounds Matt

(I love to hear the Americans scream in payne and fear ;) .) [/QB]

The German voices in CMAK were a mix of old and new samples.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Agua:

May be attributing too much here to ya, but in one of the ambient recordings (the setting was desert / day) there was the occasional sound of an incoming artillery shell. It was so infrequent though, that I had to look around and replay the movie to determine if an spotting round had come in. Really adds to the FOW. Didn't know if that was done intentionally or not.

It's actually the sound of artillery shells passing overhead on their way to somewhere else. ;)

Yes, the immersion those sounds add was totally intentional.

Madmatt

He means Digital Audio Workstation. I'm 100% in the multi-media/interactive electronics audio world! smile.gif

I get a total kick out of making and modifying the sounds for the CM games.

Maybe with the next engine we'll get positional audio? :D

Jordan "AstroCat"

Originally posted by Madmatt:

I am not sure what DAW means but it you want to know what software I use its mostly (about 99%) CoolEdit Pro and sometimes I use SoundForge.

Madmatt