Sometimes the Waffle gets the Bear, and Sometimes the Bear gets the Waffle!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Whar be Kitty? :mad: :mad: :mad:

*check's diary*

90 minutes away from the start of today's classes, then followed by carousing with classmates, inebriation, and possible stomach pumping circa 6am PST.

Mace

So Mace, I'm reading They Called It Passchendele by Lyn MacDonald and I have a new-found respect for Aussies.

Apparently they were shocked and disgusted at the rigidity and silliness of discipline in the British forces during the First World War.

In one case, when they were billeted next to a British division that insisted on full dress parade each morning -- while they were off the line -- the Aussie marching band would come and play full blast next to them so the Sergeant Major couldn't be heard (each and every time they tried it) . :D They cancelled the parade soon after.

In another case, when soldiers who had been sentenced to hard duty for being drunk -- again, off the line -- would be tied to the wheel for a few hours at a time between heavy work, the Aussies would go out and cut them free.

In a place of unspeakable horror and the criminal idiocy of Haig, they certainly had a sense of justice.

Good on ya mate!! :D

Oh, and for the record:

The main item on the (senior staff officers') agenda was the lack of discipline show by the Canadian soldiers, and the conversation turned to their deplorable habit of failing to salute superior officers. What could be done about it? The discussion continued for more than forty minutes until General Plumer, who had been growing increasingly restive, broke in abruptly. 'Well, gentlemen, I don't think there's much wrong with the saluting of the Canadians. Nearly every Canadian I salute returns it.' There was shamefaced silence and Plumer rustled his papers together. 'If that's all gentlemen...' pgs. 84-85

Apparently they were shocked and disgusted at the rigidity and silliness of discipline in the British forces during the First World War.

The Diggers always had respect for the stoicism of the Tommy soldier, but detested the class based system of the British command structure.

So they always gave the Pom officers as enough grief as possible, and wouldn't bother saluting them unless the officer could prove by behaviour or action that he was worth saluting.

btw, I have a picture somewhere I inherited of two Canadian soldiers standing near the WW1 front lines, supposedly taken by my Uncle Walter.

Their surnames were Whitlock. Uncle Walter's surname was Whitlock. On discussion, It turned out that Uncle Walter and these two were distant cousins.

Small world huh?

Mace

<font size=6>Heeeeere's Johnny!!</font size=6>

I really need an ax to chop through the door for that line. And no, not Axe, ax!! tongue.gif

Thanks to the BFC guys for letting me know what my password is. It's been so long since I had to log in I forgot what it was. Doh!! :D:D

Snarker, you couldn't wait just a little longer before inflicting a second Snarker on the forum, could you? You split-personality maggots are really scary. For most of you, posting under one name is bad enough. When you add a second name, you're more than twice as bad. tongue.gif

Can't wait to jump over to the GF and see what my dear friends over there have to say about the Democratic convention. I've heard a few of the "news" people on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and they all panned the whole thing. On "The Daily Show", I saw a tape of Chris Matthews' MSNBC cohort Britt Hume, who was right there on the stage, ask Al Sharpton what his speech was about. He asked Rev. Sharpton why he stopped the teleprompter and "Riffed on whatever it was you were riffing on." Sharpton had just finished talking. He hadn't even made it off the stage!! Couldn't a so-called reporter maybe have tried something new, called LISTENING, so he wouldn't have to ask such a stupid question?? Oh yeah, all of the "reporters" clearly showed a complete liberal bias by sucking up to the Democrats all right! GAAAAAAAHHH!! :rolleyes::D

Good grief, I came back to a Canadian-Australian mutual admiration fest. I think I'm going to be sick. Let's see, Canada was originally settled by the French. They were followed by the Scots and Irish getting away from England before they could be shipped to Australia, right? Australia was as far away from England as the crown could send prisoners before space travel, right? Oh yeah, two nations with a lot in common. tongue.gif:D

[ July 30, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

Originally posted by Dave H:

Drinking, are we?

Snarker, you couldn't wait just a little longer before inflicting a second Snarker on the forum, could you? You split-personality maggots are really scary. For most of you, posting under one name is bad enough. When you add a second name, you're more than twice as bad. tongue.gif

Just testing to see if my real account was muggled. 'Tweren't, the forum now does odd things if you have cookies blocked. :mad: :mad: Already told BFC what's going on and asked them to can my (more) maggoty twin.

Originally posted by Snarker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

Drinking, are we?

Just testing to see if my real account was muggled. 'Tweren't, the forum now does odd things if you have cookies blocked. :mad: :mad: Already told BFC what's going on and asked them to can my (more) maggoty twin. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Snarker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

Drinking, are we?

Just testing to see if my real account was muggled. 'Tweren't, the forum now does odd things if you have cookies blocked. :mad: :mad: Already told BFC what's going on and asked them to can my (more) maggoty twin. </font>

Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Paula B.:

I.....hate........you. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wait, I don't live in the U.S.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Doncha know that the Kanuckistani government allows 100 maggots per can? </font>