Mines. Why'd it have to be mines ?

Here's the skinny : I've got a force without any engineer. There's this gully I want to pour tanks through. In this gully, my cowardly and unsportly opponent put AT mines. Is there any way to get rid of them at all ?

PS : Lars, shutafeckup, you coward. And don't you dare snicker either.

[ June 21, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Kobal2 ]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What...the mines or unsportly opponents ;)

Sounds like your opponent is quite sporting, and the sport is trapping tanks for their pelts.

AFAIK, your snookered.

Originally posted by Kobal2:

Here's the skinny : I've got a force without any engineer. There's this gully I want to pour tanks through. In this gully, my cowardly and unsportly opponent put AT mines. Is there any way to get rid of them at all ?

Sounds to me like your "cowardly and unsportly" opponent identified an obvious lane for your armor advance and left you a buried present. I think you should go ahead and drive your tanks across the minefields anyway. Don't let a little thing like mines stop your mighty tanks, or the <font size=1>penguins</font size=1> will never stop laughing at you. :D:D:D

Besides, if one of your tanks actually makes it through, think how surprised your opponent will be. :D:D

CM does model the fact that HE explosions (especially large ones) can blow up mines in their vicinity.

There is however no way to know for sure if the mines an an area have been neutralized - you just have to look at the location of craters and hope for the best.

Generally, the bigger caliber HE the better if you're hoping to blast mines. Most effective and efficient at this job are big on-map HE chuckers like 150mm IGs and ISU-152s since they can be used to create a pretty concentrated grouping of big craters if you set them on area fire. Arty FOs can do the job, too, though; off-map arty is just a kind of expensive way to try to eliminate mines pointswise.

Cheers,

YD

I've never tried to blast through mines with smaller stuff like 88mm or 75mm. The smallest caliber I've done this with is 105mm -- I did get a couple of squads across across a minefield without injury after blasting at it with a Sherman(105) for a couple of turns, but it's hard to say whether the 105 shells neutralized the minefield, or I simply got lucky. The rest of the times I've used this technique, it's been with 122mm or bigger stuff; usually as DF from an Assault Gun.

I suspect that the number of shells required to blast a path through a minefield starts to rise quickly as shell size gets smaller. It might be possible with 88mm or even 75mm shells, but you'll probably need to use a lot of them.

Cheers,

YD

I will look away from this show of "I've pissed meself, and am trying to recall if there are other lame whores that could explain to me how to wash out my underwear'.

Tsk, lad. You're in a game. Your opponent is the lowest, most disgusting example of life on this planet. He's a Peng Challenger.

If you go crawling around after pointers and some sort of document entailing what happens to tossers that play games against Peng Challengers...

Well, we'll simply send you off the field.

Kobal, I heard that putting tinfoil around the nads of your tank personel before getting them to drive through a minefield may help avoid painful injury. Of course, once they see the tinfoil come out, they'll know you probably want them to drive through a minefield and will likely head in the opposite direction.

Originally posted by v42below:

Kobal, I heard that putting tinfoil around the nads of your tank personel before getting them to drive through a minefield may help avoid painful injury. Of course, once they see the tinfoil come out, they'll know you probably want them to drive through a minefield and will likely head in the opposite direction.

Surely that would only protect against Radiation Mines or a Burnt Turkey?

I've had non-sapper infantry (no sachel charges) 'target' a minefield next to them and the minefield eventually goes away. So it can be done. Haven't tried it with anti-tank mines, tho.

But then again, I've also had my infantry's depleted ammo stocks magically get replenished over the course of a battle (maybe it was from those 'health crystals' I collected under the waterfalls... It's almost like I'm playing a different game!). ;):D

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by v42below:

Surely that would only protect against Radiation Mines or a Burnt Turkey? </font>

@Seanachai : won't you just sod off, you annoying little thing, you shame of the human race, you ... PENGER ?!

The correct term is 'Cesspooler'.

And I meant to ask...is he using mines against you, or Mimes?

I mean, if it's Mimes, then you have my full support, and it's into the scorpion pit with the useless bugger.

One has to ask these questions when dealing with you French, because you're never quite at home or competent in an anglophone community, now, are you?

No, sadly I don't think there's any mime involved. I'd have loved to blow them up. No, I think there's only a clown, and he's in charge of the opposite team.

Er...just a random thought. Brain does this sort of thing, sometimes, casts up odd things...but what does 'Kobal2' come from, or reference? I mean, it's just that Cobol was the computer language that no one here in the US knew any longer, and that was going to prove significant in dealing with the whole Y2K thing...

Just trying to sort out connections, pathways, bits of fluff caught in the machinery of time...

Nothing to do with Cobol (well, not originally anyway). First picked up the name from a wacky pen and paper RPG, in which Kobal was the "Demon Prince of Black Humour", a kind of christian-myth version of Loki, only he laughs even louder when the guy that slips on the banana peel breaks his skull too.

Fitted nicely with my propension towards cynical humour and taking everything lightly no matter the topic's seriousness/gravity, and the name is also phonetically close to my RL surname, so...

The "2" came afterwards when some bugger hijacked my screenname, taking advantage of my lack of internet connection at the time. I came back online, and got showered with messages from the bugger's friends.

Eventually the bugger buggered away and his friends with him, but I kept the "2" anyway, since I'd gotten used to it, and besides with it silly blokes like, say, Cesspoolers can find themselves immensely witty when they call me funny names like "kobold" or "cobalt" (and, yes, Cobol during the Big Y2K Scare) ;)

Happy now, you nickname grog ? tongue.gif

Happy now, you nickname grog ? tongue.gif

Immensely. Now all I need is a bit of your hair, fingernails, blood, or an honest post from you, and I'll be able to double you over with pain by using common desktop items as instruments of torture.

People deeply under-appreciate the power of primitive animism colliding with a pantheistic approach to monotheism...

I'm not sure in CM terms, but certain panzer units used to do it when they needed to get to something quick-for instance during the battle of the bulge SS tanks were rushing to get their hands on one of the vital bridges before it was blown but there were daisy chain AT mines on the road-the solution? Drive a tiger through, get its tracks blown off but clear a path.