why doesn't it blow up?

give it up to a newbie to ask stupid questions! smile.gif

Didn't know about different types of landmines, so I guess what the vehicles were rolling through were AP.

The question now is... does the vehicle/men need to go on top of the green area marking the mine, or the general vicinity of that green area?

TIA

Didn't know about different types of landmines, so I guess what the vehicles were rolling through were AP.
Zoom in on the sign that marks the minefield. The AP mines will say "Achtung Minen!" while the AT mines will say "Achtung Minen! Panzer!"

The question now is... does the vehicle/men need to go on top of the green area marking the mine, or the general vicinity of that green area?
Each minefield is a 20m x 20m square, so the vehicle / unit is in danger anywhere within that square, not just in the center where the marker is.

minefields represent where mines might be located - you can dry over a field without hitting a mine, or you might hit one.

mine fields were not used to kill people or destroy vehicles, but to stop them from passing through an area. Hence the signs warning of the minefield. If you want the mines to kill people you don't put up signs. Of course then your people walk over them too.

Is there some option to set whether the signs are visible to the enemy or not? I'm thinking of the Line of Defense scenario - when I was German I could see where the minefields were, but when I was American they did not show up until one of my tanks was immobilized by them - and only the minefield that the tank was in showed up, I still did not know the location of the other one.

Lt. Badger

Mines won't be identified until one of your tanks/infantry squads takes casualites from it. How else would you be able to spot mines buried in the ground? The daisy chain AT mines can be spotted very easily since their on top of the ground. The only one that can see the mines is of course the defender.

Originally posted by Bruceov:

I've never seen a vehicle going over an antitank mine go Kaboom. the mine exploads and usually the vehile is immobilized

I passed a mine field with one of my jeeps.

Let's just say that the driver wont be comming home for Xmas...

BOM !

I think less armoured vehicles are more prone to going bom then heavy tanks.

//Salkin

Merry Xmas folks !!!

Just a Quick tip over a cup of Tea... if you come a cross an AP mine and the inf are having probs with it drive a tank or carrier to them embark and drive through sounds lame but the amount of time i have orderd inf to carry on through the mines when a nice Ride is parked a couple of hundred yards away.. if you place mines yourself double them up or place AT mines over the top of the AP ones or for less points sow a few daisy-chain in with them..

"found something its hard to read in the dark i think it says point towards enem.............." "Famous last words"

happy hunting

It is possible to spot enemy landmines, but it's not automatic as it is when you can see your own mines. It depends on a few factors such as the type of mine, type of terrain, weather and what kind of units you have.

Biggest difference is between AT mines and "Daisy Chain" AT mines, the Daisies are quick scattered mines that are not concealed, and will be spotted much easier. Normal AP and AT mines are buried and concealed, which obviously makes them harder to spot.

Units such as engineers will tend to spot mines from varied distances, while something like green buttoned tanks usually won't see anything until it blows a track off.

-Hans

Originally posted by Siege:

Units such as engineers will tend to spot mines from varied distances, while something like green buttoned tanks usually won't see anything until it blows a track off.

Yes, engineers can spot mines but they have to be very close in order to do so.(-40m) You would have to park them there for a few turns as well.

It doesn't matter the skill level of the tank crew. A elite or green tank crew will only spot the AT mines after they hit one.

Yes, engineers can spot mines but they have to be very close in order to do so.(-40m) You would have to park them there for a few turns as well.

Is this new CMAK behavior? In the previous games, the only mines that could be spotted without triggering them were the daisy-chain mines. Other mines you had to wander into in order to locate.

Now engineers will clear daisy chain mines by themselves and other minefields using satchel charges (if they have them).

No Tar, i was wrong. I was drunk when i posted that. :D I do remember some rumblings about this a long time ago. I think somebody said that the engineers should be able to spot mines or something like that. For like a wishlist for CMAK. I think maybe thats why i posted it. ;)

In my testing, what I've found is the chance of an AFV setting off an AT mine when passing over a single mine tile is only about 1/2. When it does, it will be destroyed about 1/2 the time and just immobilized the other 1/2 the time.

My sample size with soft vehicles is smaller, but suggests the chance of setting a mine off is actually higher, but the chance of destruction is lower - the usual result is immobilization. This might just be the same 50-50 stuff as above, just a particular "run" of coin tosses in my tests. But I saw far more hits and far fewer total losses after a hit with the soft vehicles.

Incidentally, I saw no difference for wheeled light armor vs. tracked heavier armor - both showed 50-50 to hit and 50-50 kill or immobilize behavior, whether 5 ton wheeled armored car or 30 ton tracked medium tank.

The main moral, though, is *not* to expect a single AT mine tile to be an impenetrable obstacle to enemy vehicles. Only a roadblock is truly an impenetrable obstacle. If you want AT mines to be nearly impenetrable you want a field several tiles deep - like 3 - not just a single tile. Single tile deep AT minefields will hit something if a lot tries to pass them, cheaply. But are not "shall not pass", line-holding weapons.

That reminds me about something. What about rotating on AT mines? Will this set off any? I suppose i could run a test myself, but then again im lazy. ;)

Reason i ask is because i vividly remember a battle in CMBO a long time ago where i parked a Sherman right on top of them for several turns. Was rotating alot to engage soft targets. It was one of those instances where the armour duels was over and was time to use the tank on softer targets. Hehe, i had no idea why my opponent was so upset until the battle was over.

Turns out that there are at least some times when one side can see the warning signs for the other side's minefields without having a mine blow up or even entering the minefield. In "On the Edge" I played Germans and could see warning signs for Allied minefields. I never went near them. :confused:

So, is there some setting that allows this? Does FOW make any difference? I'm playing at full FOW, not extreme, but in other scnearios (such as "Line of Defense" and "Mountain Retreat") I have not been able to see enemy minefield warning signs until I either hit a mine or completed the scenario and went back from the AAR to look at the map.

Idea: super-cheap minefields with no actual mines in them, just warning signs visible to the enemy to act as a deterrant! :D

Lt. Badger

I believe 'dasy-chain' minefields are much more apparent than run-of-the-mill minefields, so you may have stumbled on some of them.

There is a (new?) mine sound in the game, and there is a bit of an explosion almost the size of a hand grenade. I wouldn't mind lobbying for the landmine explosion sequence to be changed to include a substantial dust cloud, regardless of terrain or weather conditions. After all, who can argue a buried mine would kick up a significant amount of dirt?