No Germans til July, 1941???

Going to disagree with you John,

On March 24, 1941 against Hitler's explicit orders, Rommel attacked and captured El Agheila with components of the 3rd Reconnaissancee Detachment. They enemy quickly withdrew to Mers Brega, 30 miles to the northeast. This led Rommel to wonder if the Tommies(British equivelent to US GIs) were as formidable as thought.

A little earlier and a bit more west then you thought.

Rune

Rune's sig says:

Berli on Lindan's comment of a Rune Scenario: "Ah come on... if you were in an Italian tankette and a slight breeze started blowing, wouldn't you bail out? "

My favourite quote about the Italians was during the America's Cup Yacht Racing in Fremantle, Western Australia, back in the 1980s... "you knew the Italians were serious when they threw their cigarettes into the water"....

Originally posted by rune:

On March 24, 1941 against Hitler's explicit orders, Rommel attacked and captured El Agheila with components of the 3rd Reconnaissancee Detachment. They enemy quickly withdrew to Mers Brega, 30 miles to the northeast. This led Rommel to wonder if the Tommies(British equivelent to US GIs) were as formidable as thought.

Rune

[sound of rustling papers, turning of pages of Panzertruppen]

Scheiße! I stand corrected. You are correct Rune.

Before Rommel left for Germany he planned an assault on El Agheila with the 5 Light Division and on 24 March it was successfully accomplish.

I was doing research on Operation Sonnenblume-1941 and on the Panzer-Regiment 5 and that is when they went into there first battle in North Africa.

John,

No problem, I almost did the same thing! However, someone asked me about the first battle and I looked it up in my research materials this morning. Have to dig some more out, as I don't have Panzertruppen1, just 2. I do have a breakdown of the equipment from Nafziger for the Afrika Korp, but haven't looked it up till I get home.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

John,

No problem, I almost did the same thing! However, someone asked me about the first battle and I looked it up in my research materials this morning. Have to dig some more out, as I don't have Panzertruppen1, just 2. I do have a breakdown of the equipment from Nafziger for the Afrika Korp, but haven't looked it up till I get home.

Rune

I have Panzertruppen 1 and I'm trying to find Panzertruppen 2 :D

If there's anything that I can help just send me an email.

Curious why that battle on the 24 of March is not mention in the Panzertruppen1 that involved the 5.leichte-Division. It starts out with the battle on the 31 of March with the Panzer-Regiment 5 at Marsa el Brega which Panzer-Regiment 5 is the 5.leichte-Division. There is some very good storys of the battles that the Panzer-Regiment 5 fought in the Panzertruppen1.

I would love to see the breakdown of equipment of the DAK :D

John

In any event, I for one would be interested to hear why BFC has chosen to omit some of the Afrika Korps' most interesting battles. Not only is el Agheila 86ed, Mechili (where General O'Connor was captured), the early battles for Tobruk, and British Operation Brevity get scuttled as well.

Well, I suppose they can actually be depicted, but the date on the interface will be wrong. Everything will look like it all happened in July instead of March, April, May, and June as well.

Michael

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

An excellent reference for the make up of the Afrika Korps along with the Italian forces in Africa is "Armies of Rommel" by George Forty. He breaks the divisions down to battalion level in many cases.

Or AFRIKA KORPS by Bender and Law. I had meant to put up info from that book onto my Med site but still haven't found the time. It is an older title, not sure if additional research has uncovered anything 'new' by way of OOB....

Originally posted by John Osborne:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Rune

[sound of rustling papers, turning of pages of Panzertruppen]

Scheiße! I stand corrected. You are correct Rune.

Before Rommel left for Germany he planned an assault on El Agheila with the 5 Light Division and on 24 March it was successfully accomplish.

I was doing research on Operation Sonnenblume-1941 and on the Panzer-Regiment 5 and that is when they went into there first battle in North Africa. </font>