DUEL AT DESSAU ...KT vs. Super Pershing?

Not much of a duel. KT crew likely poorly trained to move forward and expose the bottom hull while being fired upon.

Since it only lasted twenty seconds, a good deal of which must have been spent driving the KT up the pile of rubble to show off the perfect target, I'll also wager that "mystery" round wasn't an 88mm L/71, since, even without penetrating, a hit on the turret front would have been very noticeable to the crew and may well have buggered the traverse from the transfer of kinetic energy.

Interesting, nonetheless.

"KT crew likely poorly trained to move forward and expose the bottom hull while being fired upon."

Don't be too hard on the poor Tiger crew. At 1600 yards -if that was the range- a KT could've stood side-on (if it wanted to) against most-all the weaponry the U.S. could throw at it without so much as scratching the paint!

I recall reading a Russian Front article saying the King Tiger's main failing was its crew's false sense of invulnerability. it led them to go places and do things a PzIV would've never dreamed to go. It is fun to go back to CMBB just to play with 'em sometimes.

[ October 12, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

The Super Pershing was in Beltons book Death Traps. He welded on extra armor to both the turret and hull. Even using parts of a panthers bow armor I recall.

http://3ad.com/history/wwll/special.photos.htm/super.pershing.htm

An ordinary pershing was KOd by a Tiger I and another by a Nashorn. Both at short range. That same website has details about those actions also.

[ October 12, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Tittles ]

3rd DIVISION VEHICULAR COMBAT LOSES

29 June 1944 to 22 April 1945 (231 combat days)

Medium Tanks 633

Light Tanks 147

Artillery Pieces 17

Assault Guns 38

Half-Tracks 204

Armored Cars 53

Motorcycles 115

2.5-ton Trucks 88

Jeeps 340

Others 197

TOTAL 1832

In addition to the losses reflected in the above table, there were "temporary" losses resulting from combat operation. Crews of the Division Maintenance Battalion repaired a total of 6,324 vehicles of all types. Of this number there were 1305 Medium Tanks, 395 Light Tanks, 728 Half-Tracks, 1063 2.5-ton trucks, and 1260 jeeps.

[ October 12, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Tittles ]