Where to start?

I have CMBB and enjoyed it a bit, but found myself easily overwhelmed. I'm a fan of combat sims, but not too versed in historical data. The campaigns were too much for me to take in at once, and the one-off scenarios were hard to pick from.

I just ordered CMAK, after reading all the rave reviews. I'm hoping someone here can help me with some advice on where to start with it. Is there a website where I can read up on some novice strategies that are relevent to the game? Can someone recommend either a smaller campaign, or scenario(s) that are fun, not too complicated, and hopefully winable by a novice? I'm looking for somewhere to get my feet wet before I wade into the full glory :cool:

Thanks!

Originally posted by WrathChild:

I have CMBB and enjoyed it a bit, but found myself easily overwhelmed. I'm a fan of combat sims, but not too versed in historical data. The campaigns were too much for me to take in at once, and the one-off scenarios were hard to pick from.

I just ordered CMAK, after reading all the rave reviews. I'm hoping someone here can help me with some advice on where to start with it. Is there a website where I can read up on some novice strategies that are relevent to the game? Can someone recommend either a smaller campaign, or scenario(s) that are fun, not too complicated, and hopefully winable by a novice? I'm looking for somewhere to get my feet wet before I wade into the full glory :cool:

Thanks!

Play the CMAK tutorial. It's not overwhelming, you can learn the mechanics of movement, LOS, indirect fire, direct fire, etc.

Then try I think it's A walk in the Sun. It's small and gives a nice infantry only scenario.

Maybe some QB's or hot seat against yourself.

Test strategies, tactics, etc.

Dear Wrathchild,

Combat Mission is an education and almost a way of life. I'm constantly learning and reading the posts to learn more. I've found the Combat Mission community to be extremely helpful.

As you learn and progress feel free to post your questions.

I'm still new myself, but I've learned a lot playing the AI and also PBEM. The game almost forces (if you want to be good) you to learn more about tactics and equipment of the various countries.

You will probably spend some time on the internet researching different sites.

Remember to use common sense... Use infantry to recon and have them supported by tanks. Use terrain, hull down positions, and cover while one group moves ahead.

Lastly, try using combined weapons ie. artillery, tanks, and infantry when you are playing to get the best results.

Have fun, you can't learn it all over night...

Hey 3 replies in ~30 minutes smile.gif

Thanks for the advice, and anyone else please do chime in with your opinions and thoughts.

I do have basic combat tactics knowledge, just not on a large scale. I played SL and ASL (the tabletop versions, not PC) wayyyy back, moved onto miniature tabletop battles (Games Workshop line, some Micro Armor and Combined Arms), and in the last 5-6 years became a real PC game fanatic. Not just wargaming, but any genre of PC gaming. I gotta give the props to everyone involved in the CM series. Technically on par, nice interface that isn't overwhelming, and wow.. $35 list? All the awards presented were well deserved, and it's great to see a community that represents that.

I learned much more by playing Quick battles rather than scenarios. Start with small battles(attack, defense or meeting engagement) that have 700 points or less. Then try to tackle each problem that you encounter about your strategy one by one. By finding out on your own what you do wrong or by checking old topic on the forums.

Ultimately, playing against humans is the best way to learn. Many players won't mind chatting after the battle and you will collect a lot informations quickly.

[ February 24, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Omi ]

I just started playing CM with CMAK. Lots of good suggestions on this thread. I too started with small scenarios (not quick battles because the ready made aspect was easiest for me). But I found the AI, while ok as a defender (just OK) was a very poor attacker. I'd suggest finding a PBEM opponent and agree to to AARs. This has been a great learning tool for me, and a lot more fun. The game has incredible depth ... like an onion... lol

After you do "A walk in the sun, be sure to try "Another Hill"

This is a great scenario that sure as hell tought me alot about coordinating armor and infantry, but it still has a small scale that won't overwhelm you.

Also, if you like, I'd be glad to play PBEM against you, and do AARs, as I myself am a newbie and learning the ropes, so maybe we can learn from each other, just send me a message at yair_iny@netvision.net.il

Cheers