FX 5900 non ultra owners - what temperatures do you experience?

I think I might have some temperature probs:

When playing, GPU shows degrees between 65 - 72 celcius. I don´t know if this is normal. Sometimes Combat Mission shuts down unexpectedly, and I think this could be the issue. Other games like CoD has shown this behavior too, crashing to desktop with corrupted graphics in windows as symptom. What is considered to be "normal" working temp?

The "case temperature" show between 38 - 45 c.

Please help?

Regards

Gurra

I have no direct comparision data for this card, but for an intact CPU/GPU itself this is not a too high temperature - in principle. Where exactly does the sensor grabs the temperature you post? Directly on the GPU chip?

However, since you appear to have 2D windows with corrupted window contents, it appears not to be the main GPU, but e.g. the video memory.

You could go over the board and look for faulty soldering points, but otherwise I'd send it back for replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Gurra:

I think I might have some temperature probs:

When playing, GPU shows degrees between 65 - 72 celcius. I don´t know if this is normal. Sometimes Combat Mission shuts down unexpectedly, and I think this could be the issue. Other games like CoD has shown this behavior too, crashing to desktop with corrupted graphics in windows as symptom. What is considered to be "normal" working temp?

The "case temperature" show between 38 - 45 c.

Please help?

Regards

Gurra

My BFG Fx5950 ULTRA runs in that range, my PNY 6800 GT ULTRA somewhat hotter. These temperatures are nominal; I have no problems. If you have over 512 MG of RAM might I suggest backing off your FSB speed a bit, could be a memory timing problem. This could be a heat issue, but relating to the CPU, since as has been pointed out, the CPU is stressed by CMxx games. What CPU are you running & what is it's temperature when running. ASUSProbe from ASUS is an outstanding bit of freeware that can record & log these readings, suggest you DL it.

Problem update:

Following Hpt. Lisse's instructions, I thought my trouble was over. It wasn´t.

For a while, I anxiously considered the option of reinstalling Windows, building everything up from scratch.

However, I first uninstalled applications I rareley use and which could be considered "less WHQL", like some cd cover printing software.

I´m now twenty turns into a quite heavy battle that surely puts a load on both CPU and GPU, and everything is fine. Before, I was never allowed to reach that far. I´m pretty sure the problem is gone.

My card is a MSI FX5900 TD128.

Maybe you can help me with another little thing:

I installed coolbits and tried some overclocking again. In the appropriate tab, I checked "manual overclocking" and pressed "detect optimal frequences". Both memory and core clock went up quite a bit and it seems everything is running fine with that. But, even though I checked "Apply these settings at startup" and exited by Apply and OK, after a reboot, the frequencies has gone down to almost factory settings.

Why is this? How can I keep the higher frequences?

I looked around a bit, and it seems that the answer to my overclocking question is a brake function in Nvidias drivers due to heat sensoring.

If anyone should be interested in some more OC:ing, I learned that there´s a bios flash mod for the FX5900 128. It´s actually possible to flash the card with a 5950 ultra bios and thus turn the frequences up even higher. The amount of memory doesn´t offer any problem, and your card will show up as a 5950 Ultra.

Read more here

Club Overclocker

With nature, what exactly do you mean? Specs?

Condition? Temps?

2.53 ghz (have no temp on this one at the moment)

1024 mb RAM

VGA OC:ing -

clockspeed 441 mhz

but down to default 850 mhz for memory after two restarts(very odd). It ran at 932 mhz right after OC:ing.

with core slowdown threshold at 145 deg.C

Off topic for Hpt.Lisse

I actually have a redo of that version on my HD, that I have made specifically for my remake of Magua open ground. As I always strive for subtlety, it blends in better, colourwise. It also has more "greenish" water. If you´re interested, I could upload it.

I'd like to know what mobo you're using and if there's any OC'ing going on.

This is the download page for the free version of Sisoftware Sandra, an analysis toolset that will provide a temp. reading for your CPU (as long as your mobo has the sensor). It will also give you a bunch of other useful info. Let us know how hot you're running...

Back to topic...

Hpt.Lisse,

any temperatures given here is taken during a non gaming session with Asus Probe.

P4S8X/latest BIOS Revision(1005) - temp ~ 34

CPU ~ 33

No OC:ing regarding the CPU.

I actually did a Sandra scan a some days ago. It didn´t reveal anything critical, as far as I could see.

Regarding my initial problem, it still appears. And it seems it´s due to heat.

I have done some testing with open/non-open front hatch on the chassi by the fan, which is installed together with another one at the back, according to all professional air flow instructions, and no crashes ever seem to happen when the hatch is open.

I do find this a bit absurd anyway, since it started to occur all of a sudden and temp readings show quite low results, I think.

Wacky. I see your card normal specs as being 400 MHz GPU/ 700MHz memory, so I wouldn't be too disappointed with 441/850 respectively. Stand by...

Edit: I just experimented with the auto-detect overclock again. This time, the GPU OC was basically the same (455 MHz) but it returned a memory OC of 960 MHz, which is a bit higher than 850. I re-booted to make sure the "retain settings" box worked and it did. The only strange thing that occurred was a drop in refresh rate from 85 Hz to 60 Hz when I first did the auto-detect process. Hang on, wanna check one more thing...

Edit II: Gurra, if your game, try going into your BIOS settings and disabling "Fast Writes" for your video card, then re-test and see if you still get crashes, etc. While you're there tell us what your AGP aperature is set to...

[ August 25, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Ok,

first things first.

You are wrong about the 700 mhz memory speed. The factory settings for both the Ultra and non-ultra are 850.

You can check this here

http:/www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900-td128_review/page2.asp

The drop in refresh rate does happen to me too at all times I try the OC:ing option.

I have Fast Write enabled. I will try disabling this and do some tests. I report back on this later.

Regarding Aperture size, it is set to 128mb. I have never been able to come across an advice that speaks clearly on this one, as to what size is appropriate.

Apologies, I thought you had this card.

You know, I took a peek at that Club Overclocker forum... it seems that some FX5900 owners who did the GPU 5950 BIOS burn lost some functionality, like AGP x8, etc. One poster even burned it back to the original BIOS... and my eVGA is not on the list of manufacturers that they have tried it with. Looks interesting, but I'll hold off on that one for now...

Yes, I can understand that.

At first glimpse I felt like: let´s vamp things up here! But soon enough, I also felt the uncertainty of the project.

Concerning the OC:ing results for memory speed, I will try adjusting the slider manually to approx. 930 mh´z and see if it stays when done this way.

First, I ran CMAK with OC:ing as before mentioned in this topic (441/850) - front hatch closed.

Result: crash after 1 turn.

Secondly, I ran CMBB with OC:ing 441/931 - front hatch open.

Result: 10 turns + no crash.

I have to upgrade my front hatch :D

Genuinly bizarre is the fact that, with lower OC:ing and closed hatch, temperatures are LOWER than with the higher settings and open hatch. In the no crash scenario, VGA temp stays around 62 degrees C.