Grenades

Mine too..

At the moment, my Feldwebel gave me the Granade, i was thinking by myself: "How would he react, if i throw it straigt up in the air....?) Not so many ways to find cover... :D

Even if there are some accounts with grenade exploding in front of some soldiers without a casuality... i dont want to be to near a exploding grenade. They are damn loud, and if i say loud, i mean totaly noisily. tongue.gif

AFAIK the more used "impact fuze" grenades in the WW2 were the italian ones, such as the granada de mano modelo OTO,

granada de mano S.R.C.M. o Roma and

granada de mano modelo Breda

(((links went quite slow lately))).

Known as "red devils", due to their colour and unreliable fuzes, which failed to explode and let the battlefield sown with dangerous unexploded grenades.

As related here

NZ 5th Field Regiment 1941 Baggush - Syria

Most chaps had a few Italian hand grenades, which we called Red Devils. Pretty harmless we thought, and people were in the habit of throwing them at each other. Later on we were to learn this was a rather dangerous practice.
The danger was in the heavy ball which on impact press a spring-and-sting and blows the fuze. Though it is -nominally- an offensive grenade, that ball can kill anybody several dozens meters away. It is the same case of the nº 69 british grenade, used playfully till someone ended with a ball inside. Later this grenade gave born to the The Grenade with Instant Fame .

A few other links on the nº 69 british grenade:

Ananova - 'Beer bottle' turns out to be unexploded grenade

Away to Scotland History of the North Shore Regiment

Then Capt. Dick Palmer, who was acting as Support Company commander, stepped on a ¨blind¨ No. 69 grenade left there carelessly by another unit that had occupied the area. The explosion damaged severely his left instep and a very good officer was lost to the North Shore.

BattleFieldRelics.co.uk WW2 No.69 Grenade. 1940 dated. Incomplete

One Vale fan

It was Matt Busby and a faulty no. 69 grenade that made Tommy Cheadle into Port Vale's centre-half and captain. Matt Busby, then captain of Liverpool, was Cheadle's PTI. Matt was the Unit centre-half. Playing behind the cultured Scot, Tommy studied the art of centre-half and finally moved into the position himself.

Move now to 1944, a battlefield in Holland. The Monmouths are attacking. Private Cheadle throws a grenade. It goes off almost in his hand and Tommy wakes up in Hospital. Enter now another PTI - Ken Fish, trainer of Port Vale.

Regards,

What about all those stories of heroes diving on grenades in order to save their buddies? Seems a foolish thing to do if it wasn't all that dangerous (meaning, if its not likely to kill bunches of your friends, wouldn't it be better to just shout "RUN!", and do so yourself too?). Just wondering where all those stories fit into this picture.

Dont think that happened very much clusters, a broken girly cry GrEnAdE!!! would be do for most people to bury there heads in the ground. Running is not what you do. Not one for percentages and stuff like some of the more clever people in here, but the blast of a grenade go`s up and sideways. If you see it dive away from it legs SHUT (dont want a bit of shrapnel in the never regions do we) hands over head (wouldnt want a pice in the eye either).

Hehe every one can have a bit of shrapenel in them rather than the lot in me.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Anyway, if the grenade explosion had been anything like what they in Hollywood often are, his body would have been in thousands of pieces scattered over a square kilometre area.

Did the grenade which he survived detonate so that his helmet was facing it, I forget ?

Being next to the grenade might be a benefit more than a hazard. Of sorts. smile.gif

The burst pattern of the grenade detonating on the ground does leave a blind zone right next to the grenade where there are less fragments than higher and further away. Also, any substantialish obstacle directs the blast effect away so if the grenade detonated in a teeny-weeny depression or behind a piece of turf (or even your helmet) you might survive the blast even if you were right next to the grenade.

Luck is a definitive factor here.

And yes, I do think the grenades are a bit on the weak side in CM. But not weak enough to really annoy me. smile.gif

[ July 21, 2004, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Tero ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I recall one anecdote from Somalia where a (Russian design?) grenade was chucked over a wall and landed literally at the feet of 3 or 4 U.S. soldiers huddled together. BANG! When the smoke cleared they were surprised to find the blast pattern had all focused upward and nobody had got a scratch.

A question. Is the U.S. offensive 'concussion' grenade a wartime design? I thought (probably erroneously) that the Pineapple was pretty much it during WWII.

I don't want to ever find out but, supposedly if your able to get prone before the frag grenade goes off you can be fairly close to it, like within 12 ft. and walk away unharmed. Don't know what your ears will feel like.

Concussion grenades are defensive and frags are offensive. You don't want to be using frag grenades while indoors. Did the US have concussion grenades in WW2?

I've always just thought that 'nades thrown at fox holes were simply missing the foxhole and landing near it rendering the wounding effects minimal to the crew. Only once in a great while a good toss will actually land into the foxhole (and this I've never seen either). I mean think about it...it is kinda hard to throw a grenade 30+ yds into a 3-4ft wide hole in the ground regardless of incoming fire.

I mean think about it...it is kinda hard to throw a grenade 30+ yds into a 3-4ft wide hole in the ground regardless of incoming fire.

Its not that difficult paul.. if under fire then maybe you may as well keep hold of them... but the idea is never to throw just one, you throw as many as it takes if you are about to assault them. By that i mean all of what you are carrying .... the point being if you live that 20-30 meter dash and not get cut down from another foxhole/trench then maybe the enmy will have some spare on there peppered body`s. Worry about that if you make it smile.gif

Concussion grenades are defensive and frags are offensive. You don't want to be using frag grenades while indoors. Did the US have concussion grenades in WW2?
You've got that back to front. Frags are more usually used from defilade - i.e. on the defensive - as the fragments travel quite a long way. Concussive effects are shorter range.

Me, Earlier:

According to my 1944 catalogue of standard US ordnance, there was a

"Grenade, hand, offensive, MkIIIA1 - Limited Standard"

14oz. with a 6.83oz. TNT charge.

To elaborate, this was a carboard tube packed with explosives - a concussion grenade.

I don't know much, but I know this -- a lot of really strange things happen around explosions and fragments. Sometimes you get hit, sometimes you don't. It all depends on the mood of the war god. But I can imagine multiple folks being tossed in the air if a grenade landed in a foxhole -- after all, one I saw tossed ripped the pig iron silhoutte on the range right in half when in landed beside it.

I am surprised someone hasnt come up with a grenade that works as follows...

Shaped like a cylinder the size of a Fosters beer can with a rounded bottom. Device is thrown like an American football in 'spiral' fashion. After a time delay, a small charge deploys a drogue chute that quickly decels the grenade and it drops down, nose first, towards the ground. On contact with ground the grenade explodes sending fragments to all sides. Nose and base are constructed strongly so that preformed fragments get velocity from explosion.

The thrower would not have to aim the device for range. He just had to aim it at the direction of the attacking troops. The release from his hand would start the timer burn and as long as he doesnt wimp out, the fragments would not reach back to him. The nose fuse would not work till after the drogue was deployed.