Bow MG/Coax MG Bug?

I did a test to try and see which bmp on the interface is for the coax, and which is for the bow MG.

I set up a Sherman hulldown behind a wall, and set an area target such that I got the message "Bow MG Blocked"

I then area fired, but found that the ammo in both the interface at the bottom of the screen, as well as in the unit Info screen, decreased at the same rate - despite the Bow MG supposedly being blocked.

Don't know if this ever happened in CMBB, never paid attention.

Is this a bug?

Do both MGs have the same ammo value? If so then that suggests that both MGs are using the same pool of ammunition.

My understanding is that tank MG ammo is stored in belts or cloth drums, usually in a rack mounted on the hull side. Both MGs would use this ammo as needed.

Regards

A.E.B

Originally posted by A.E.B:

Do both MGs have the same ammo value? If so then that suggests that both MGs are using the same pool of ammunition.

My understanding is that tank MG ammo is stored in belts or cloth drums, usually in a rack mounted on the hull side. Both MGs would use this ammo as needed.

Regards

A.E.B

Well, that I can understand...I haven't measured the rate of consumption so will take your word. The total is for both guns, then, obviously.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

This leaves open a question though, to wit does the ammo supply deplete at the same rate with the hull blocked off?

Not 100% sure, but I believe the rate of ammo usage would be less when the bow gun is blocked, since ammo usage is tied to firepower. Just like a squad's ammo usage drops when a squad is firing at extreme range, since the squad's SMG does not contribute to the overall FP.

I haven't checked it in CMAK, but in CMBO and CMBB the MG ammo count was spread between all of the MGs of a certain calibre and every time the MGs fired, the ammo count went down by the number of MGs firing.

This is most noticable on tanks with rifle calibre flexible mounts - when the tank is buttoned, the ammo count goes down slower (1 less MG firing)