Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Anybody have a picture of a wooden bunker?

I was thinking about this recently. What exactly is a wooden bunker in CM supposed to represent? I've seen plenty of concrete bunkers, but I cannot recall seeing any pictures of square wooden bunkers. Did such a thing exist, or is a wooden 'bunker' simply a trench with good overhead cover?

Anybody have a picture of an actual wooden bunker?

I just saw a website the other day that had a good interior and exterior shot of a German wood bunker. The MG34 was used with the bipod at the halfway point (not at the muzzle). This bipod was sitting between two flat boards for stability. There was a shelf with stick grenades, pistol, etc.

A point about log bunkers is that you want two rows of logs. The outside logs sit so they are wedged between the inside logs weak points. This way, a bullet always has to go through a minimum of one log diameter or more.

Most log bunkers also have built in trenches or space below ground for protection. They are not built like little houses above ground. They are quite small targets.

Runyan,

that is one possibility. Whichever term is more normal for the object in English... I can only help with the Finnish term (tulikorsu).

Michael,

would an unreinforced earthwork even be called as a bunker? I mean, outside a golf course. Admittedly, it does describe it better, as the wooden structure is what holds it together.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Michael,

would an unreinforced earthwork even be called as a bunker?

No. That was my point. An unreinforced earthwork would be called a foxhole or possibly a trench, as they are in the game, although just to make things complicated, reinforced examples of both, especially the latter, were not unknown. Usually though the critical defining characteristic of a bunker is its overhead cover.

Then there are pillboxes...

:rolleyes:

Michael

The biggest impediment to doing a partially sunken wood bunker mod is the top and side share the same polygon. There's only so far you can pile up dirt around the base of your bunker before the line of dirt art starts to appear on the top as well. But in an ooooold CMBO wood bunker mod of mine from a million years ago I did pile up substantial amounts of dirt and rocks at the front. it didn't look half bad. I should try a hi-res version of that one of these days for CMAK.