Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hollywood Trivia Bit for Armor Fans- Who can ID the quote?

Originally posted by EarlofWarwick:

"Lay down the purple! Lay down the purple!"

Name the character, the actor, the movie and the scene, and you will prove yourself to be a true armor aficionado.

Don't know the character, but its Michael Cain in a 'Bridge too far'. The scene is the opening battle between the Irish Guards armored column and the German's Kampfgruppe Walter. He is requesting in purple smoke to call in an airstrike.

Originally posted by EarlofWarwick:

"Lay down the purple! Lay down the purple!"

Name the character, the actor, the movie and the scene, and you will prove yourself to be a true armor aficionado.

Get the quote correct and what do I get? smile.gifsmile.gif

It's actually "Start the purple! Start! The! Purple!"

I couldn't resist, sorry.

-dale

Well done! And, yes, Dalem has got the quote right.

Now, for ten extra points, can you tell where else the name Vandeleur shows up in the annals of British

military history?

By the way, that scene still goes down as one of my favorites, even in the wake of "Saving Pvt Ryan" and "The Band of Brothers." I saw it the other day, and I had to fight the urge to jump onto my coffee table and yell, "Go get'em Guards!" That's good stuff...

[ January 28, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: EarlofWarwick ]

Sir John Ormsby Vandeleur (1763-1849), of course. He was a British cavalry officer who fought Napoleon in the Penisula campaign. At Waterloo he commanded a Cavalry Brigade and took over the entire British cavalry when Lord Uxbridge became injured. ;)

Now, a quiz question for you, EarlofWarwick. Was that omniscient memory on my part, or the searching power of Google? You be the judge. :D

Originally posted by dalem:

What a great movie. We need more movies about Brit actions. I want a splenderiffic Dunkirkian saga. Bittersweet but splodey.

-dale

Have you ever read "Return via Dunkirk" by "Gun Buster"? It was a pseudonymous book written and published in 1940 by an artillery officer who was there. I don't think Michael Bay would like it because there are no romances in the story, but it might make the genesis of a decent movie. JonS would probably pay to see it twice, if there were some good 25 pounder shots in it.