mixed Sherman/Firefly platoons

1) no*

2) hopefully (amongst other new flexibilities in the way units are organised)

* well, you can have mixed groups of Shermans and Fireflys trundling around together, adn you can call them a platoon if you wish. And many scenarios are set up this way. But they aren't 'platoons' (actually 'troops') in the sense of commandlines radiating out from the HQ unit.

Quite - your thread should read mixed Sherman/Firefly TROOPS.

And you could argue it was the other way round - Shermans were mixed in with Firefly's to give them more AP capability... (extra MG's, able to carry more ammo, higher ROF) Stuart Hill's troop in Market Garden had 2 x Firefly, but kept 1 x 75mm for this reason (he says). Interestingly, he, as troop commander, took the 75mm one.

Originally posted by von Lucke:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

Stuart Hill's troop in Market Garden had 2 x Firefly, but kept 1 x 75mm for this reason (he says). Interestingly, he, as troop commander, took the 75mm one.

Seems rather wise to me. After all, I'd think that Gerry would aim for the long-barreled Shermans first. </font>

troop. got it.

was this mix enshrined in orders? if so i feel justified in asking for it in the patch (as much as anything else) as i feel the German formations where ad hoc. i'm sure such mixes happened everywhere as necessary. but if it's part of doctrine it's a different matter.

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

Interestingly, he, as troop commander, took the 75mm one.

AIUI, that (the Tp cmmd not taking a Firefly) was standard practice throughout the British Army. </font>