6 lb anti-tank gun

Hey guys

aside from the argument over weight of shells and that cheers veery much for the help the seminar went pretty well, the info I got from your links were very helpful in answering the questions so thanks again. On the name issue though, I had always heard and read that the reason the guns were called as they were 6, 17, 25 pdr was because of the weight of the shell, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the 6lb shell fired from the 6 pdr gun cost £6, is it?

Sadly I upgraded to a OSX only machine last year so am dearly missing Combat Mission so haven't been on the forums much recently, is there any hope for us OSXers? I really would like to play it again and try out CMAK for the first time it sounds unbelievable. If it is anything like CMBO and BB it will be like nothing else.

Heres hoping for a CMOSX

Locksley

Locksley,

You're welcome! To my mind, the assertion that the pdr rating was cost based is patently ridiculous. It is, in fact, a carryover from the days of muzzle loading cannon and is simply the weight of the SHOT

(not shell) fired by the weapon in question. I refer doubters to Ian Hogg's THE GUNS 1939-1945 in the section dealing with antitank weapons. Hogg is a retired Master Gunner in the Royal Artillery and is a weapon expert known worldwide for his books on artillery, ammunition, small arms and other ordnance.

As for being marooned in OS X, now you know why I bought the best available model of the lampshade dual OS iMac. Huge improvement in capability while still fully CM compatible!

Regards,

John Kettler

I'd think Mr. Flamingpicky would be wrong.

The Brits referred to all kinds of ammunition as shot. Solid/spherical shot, grape shot, cannister shot, spherical case/shrapnel shot and indeed shell shot. If they could bung it down the barrel in front of a charge, they called it a shot. Because that's what you did, you shot it.

But well before WW II, which after all is the era that we are interested in, a careful distinction was being made between hollow shells and solid shot. Indeed, even much earlier, a lot of what you are calling shot, I have heard described by the term 'round', e.g., cannister round. And a shrapnel round was a shell that contained shot (and a dispersive charge). So there!

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

I'd think Mr. Flamingpicky would be wrong.

The Brits referred to all kinds of ammunition as shot. Solid/spherical shot, grape shot, cannister shot, spherical case/shrapnel shot and indeed shell shot. If they could bung it down the barrel in front of a charge, they called it a shot.

I don't think so - case shot was small shot enclosed in a case while Grape shot was again made up of linked solid shot smaller than the usual.

Shrapnel was never "shot" AFAIK, and neither was "shell".

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

Mr. flamingpicky thinks that shot is, in fact, always solid. A shell, by contrast, can have all varieties of filling.

You reckon? Then it would be improper to call the German AP rounds shots?

Michael </font>