Newbie lookin' for PBEM luv

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

Oh yes, in the Cheery Waffle thread we use as many of these :mad: :eek: tongue.gifredface.gif:(:rolleyes: as possible. Some <font size=1>penguins</font size=1> don't care for them.

Simply because for verbal communication, we prefer to use words.</font>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dave H:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

Oh yes, in the Cheery Waffle thread we use as many of these :mad: :eek: tongue.gifredface.gif:(:rolleyes: as possible. Some <font size=1>penguins</font size=1> don't care for them.

Simply because for verbal communication, we prefer to use words.</font>

Originally posted by willbell:

Joe,

You are quick!

Clearly you have never played a PBEM with Joe!

(Sometimes, when you are thinking, do you hear a ricochet?)

Will

Actually it's more like the sound you transmission makes when you try to shift gears without using the clutch.

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by willbell:

Joe,

You are quick!

Will

Actually it's more like the sound you transmission makes when you try to shift gears without using the clutch. </font>

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by willbell:

Joe,

You are quick!

Will

Actually it's more like the sound you transmission makes when you try to shift gears without using the clutch. </font>

Ok. Let me pose a couple of follow-up questions.

1) What scenerio characteristics should I be looking for in my first PBEM game? Length? Size? Forice composition dynamic?

2) How many single-player scenerios should I play through - and what ones would be recommended - to avoid noobish mistakes?

3) According to the Peng-self-luv thread I can not mention in passing in that thread that I am looking for a game. So's how's one suppose'ta strike up a non-intrusive game wit dem homies?

1) Whatever you like/are comfy with. It's supposed to be fun for both sides.

2) I personnaly played the AI for 3 months before thinking of tackling NS (that's of course, Natural Stupidity) - that is, until I could reliably get a victory or a draw against the AI, learn proper tactics and timing etc... Of course, even the dimwits that dwell here are a bit more clever and unpredictable than the AI (in a totaly absurd manner of course - we're talking about the Peng folks here) so I expect to get a number of sound thrashings before I get the hang of it. Noobish mistakes I will make (and still make against the AI. Like say, forgetting that I have arty, that kind of thing)

3) The first, inane rule of the Peng is (or rather, was - more about this later) : you have to challenge an individual of your level.

The day I came around these parts, I logically pointed out a simple fact that those geezers had overlooked : WHEN YOU'RE A NOOB YOU DON'T KNOW WHO PEOPLE ARE, YOU MONKEYS !

Since then, they (grudgingly of course. They're your basic old people, y'ken ? They're ill at ease with new ideas. Or anything post-1960 for that matter.) seem to have admitted the idea of a new guy challenging an unknown individual, if the taunt shows enough wit, grandeur, panache, scorn, imagination etc... But of course, if you're better than them at it, they'll tell you "how *dare* you adress US like this, you SSN ?!"

Originally posted by Fridge:

Ok. Let me pose a couple of follow-up questions.

1) What scenerio characteristics should I be looking for in my first PBEM game? Length? Size? Forice composition dynamic?

20-30 turns, Small, mainly infantry to start.

2) How many single-player scenerios should I play through - and what ones would be recommended - to avoid noobish mistakes?

Try Jeff Weatherspoons "Tutorial". It's fun and gives good experience using indirect fire, direct fire & movement, and attacking fortified positions. Another small scenario to get your feet wet is "A walk in the Sun"

3) According to the Peng-self-luv thread I can not mention in passing in that thread that I am looking for a game. So's how's one suppose'ta strike up a non-intrusive game wit dem homies?

There is also an "Opponents Wanted" Forum on this board, if you're in a hurry.

Originally posted by willbell:

Fridge,

Thanks for asking this question.

Two years of playing CM and reading posts and I had no idea the Peng thread or Cherry Waffle thread had anything to do with finding Opponents. It just seemed like a bunch of inarticulate, ESL dudes without jobs, who had all kinds of time on their hands to write a bunch of nonsense, wasting that precious resource which could have been used for playing CM.

Deary, deary me. Willbell, good to see you. Everyone treating you alright? Nurses getting you your meds on time? How very good of you to fall by! I say it does lads like you good to get out, mix with others, not stay forever strapped down to a bed watching daytime television. And if they soil themselves, what of it? At least they're taking part in life. And that has to do them a world of good.

Originally posted by Dave H:

]Instead of using the infinitely more efficient means of communicating emotions with pictures. Apparently the wise old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" didn't penetrate to darkest Ohio. I doubt if it made any impression on the rest of the <font size=1>penguin</font size=1> flock either.

Ah, the inimitable Dave H.

Fridge has asked a perfectly legitimate question about the differences between the Cesspoolers and the Cheery Wafflers. Now, Fridge, you have to understand that the Wafflers, like our early ancestors, are more into visual communication. Cave paintings, hieroglyphs, vulgar drawings on bathroom walls...

While we of the Peng Challenge Thread are rather more verbal. More literate, even. Many of our members have actually read books, rather than simply tearing pages out of them and perusing them in an outhouse before doing the predictable thing, which is rather more the interaction to be expected of your average Cheery Waffler.

The Wafflers, you see, are rather like an 'Early Man' answer to the Peng Challenge Thread. People who come to the MBT, and find it all a little too...well, for want of a better term, let us call it 'civilized', then knuckle their way over to the Cheery Waffle thread, roar something inarticulate, pound the ground with a stick, and then usually relieve themselves on their own feet.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It does a man good to see that there's a place for everyone, no matter how otherwise unsuited to life they appear to be. I can't tell you how it gladdens my heart to see Dave H, Soddball, Axe2121, Snarker, and the various rabble of Finns and life underachievers that have collected around them happily disporting themselves in the Cheery Waffle, forming a little community that gives the lie to the idea that people that emotionally disturbed and mentally dysfunctional should simply be institutionalized and forgotten.

So, Fridge, feel free to go into either thread. I can recommend lads from our own Thread that would be happy to tell you where they thought you went wrong in what you did (not 'tell you what you did wrong, but tell you why it turned out to be wrong from their rather limited point of view'; we're all of us learning, each and every day, after all), but the lads in the Waffle are very nice too. Dave H, I believe, has a heart of gold.

Sadly, he's also as thick as two short planks laid atop each other, but I often say that it's better to have a good heart, rather than to be clever.