The Cheery Waffle thread: some assembly required, Master Goodale NOT included

I returned home last night to just one turn in my inbox.

I return home tonight and what do I find? mike_the_wino (2 no less) in the Cheery Waffle Thread.

Could this week get any worse?

Oh yeah, our union voted 86 per cent last night to reject the company's "last" offer. Strike deadline is midnight next Tuesday.

ftpcdrom.jpg

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Of course what I meant to say was, welcome back.

Maggot. :mad: :mad:

No, no, no, that's NOT what you meant to say. What you meant to say was:

Well, well, look who's back, mike-the :mad: elk humping :mad: grape squashing :mad: puss licking :mad: fury twat :mad: AWOL :mad: maggot96.

At least that's what I would have said.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Oh yeah, our union voted 86 per cent last night to reject the company's "last" offer. Strike deadline is midnight next Tuesday.

Woohoo! More CM time! ...which translates to more waiting for non-turn-sending maggots, and more posting to yourself in here. tongue.gif

This will also give you more time to contemplate how your bl :mad: :mad: dy Tiger will rampage through my forces. :mad: :mad: :mad: May frequent bog-downs and side-turret penetrations be yours!!

Originally posted by Thermopylae:

Axe if you haven't started up that Rune scenario, I'd be happy to blow you to tiny bits like the scum of the earth that you are, and thereby save the world a considerable amount of wasted oxygen.

Done and done. :mad:

Originally posted by Firefly:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Snarker:

The rest of you, LISTEN UP LIKE YOU HAVE A SET (of ears, you filthy minded puss packs!)

Jagged Alliance, XCom fans - Silent Storm is now available in North America and it gets two :mad: 's up! Learning curve is moderate, (some of the hot keys are a little odd) but the graphics are excellent! GRGGGAAAAAARGHGHAAARGH!!!! THE ENVIRONMENT IS FULLY DESTRUCTIBLE!!!!!! Tons of 'splodies!!!!

I used a BAR and a captured MG34 to chip away the front of a house to get at the maggot meat inside. Blew the windows in, and even took down the bricks with enough hits. Not to mention you can shoot through the floors or ceilings to get the sniper pinning the rest of your buddies down.

Anyone with a ATI card is warned to save often - something in their drivers sometimes drops you out of the game... apparently they didn't want nVidia to keep the annoyance factor all to themselves.

You obviously haven't reached the bit with Panzerkleins. Men walking around in a suit of armour that can't be penetrated by a panzerschreck stretch my suspension of disbelief, not to mention ruining the play balance. </font>

<Font size=4>Good Morning, Maggots!!</Font size=4>

Thanks to all of you who posted and sent e-mails. Becky doesn't have any sisters, so her partner's lingering illness and death was really tough for her. She's starting to bounce back. Life does go on.

In my ongoing PBEM of the Italians attacking the surrounded French Foreign Legion, I've just put on a human wave attack that would have made the Red Chinese envious. Is the Italian artillery always wildly inaccurate? Even an onboard howitzer and mortar ended up wasting all of their ammunition, with no result to show for it. They couldn't even put their shells inside sandbagged emplacements! :rolleyes:

The gamey knight Lurkur has my Canadians in a most uncomfortable position. His Panthers are in hull-down positions where they can see every single approach to the fords crossing the river. He also has anti-tank guns protecting the exposed flank of his Panthers. I think it's a stalemate. At least I did manage to kill a whole flock of his Nashorns.

Mike's Kiwis are beginning to break and run - finally. If only it wasn't for the big cloud of dust and the armor sound contacts approaching. We may never take Crete! :eek:

Teddy Windsor has surrendered his American troops in our Spaghetti Western battle. I think the massive explosion of his last tank demoralized him. :D

Becket the gamey lawyer (that's redundant, isn't it) continues to strafe my infantry with his herd of armored cars and tanks. He has managed to avoid almost all of my defenders in his midnight attack. I suspect his Aussies are using night-vision goggles. GRRRR!! :mad:

I know I owe several setups. Next week I'll be out of town, so I'd rather wait to start any new games until I get back.

Two things.

1. I've gotten a sort of battlefield promotion (i.e., more responsibility, more stress, no new title) and have had no time to play CM for the last month. I will continue trying to return turns but it will likely be at a Goodale-esque rate, so I will not hold it against anyone who wants to end one of our ongoing games.

2. For Axe:

Charlie was a driver and he hardly spent a night at home.

He rarely saw his family, trucking loads those long weeks on the road.

And Charlie would drive

For miles and miles.

Charlie had a teenage daughter he thought of as a little girl

But one day he came home his little girl had grown-up news to tell.

"Oh Daddy", she cried "oh Daddy, I tried But on the hayride how I fell

That was a hayride bound for Hell."

Now Billy Jackson was the father but he wasn't man enough to own.

And his daddy was the mayor and he said,

"Charlie, just leave my Billy-boy alone."

Billy had to hide

But there was guilt inside

And you can't hide from yourself.

That's just a hayride bound for Hell.

Charlie's daughter died whilst giving birth to Billy Jackson's child

And Billy Jackson ain't been seen around these parts for quite a while.

And Charlie would drive

For miles and miles

And his tail-lights say farewell

He's a hayride bound for Hell.

Originally posted by Dave H:

Becket the gamey lawyer (that's redundant, isn't it) continues to strafe my infantry with his herd of armored cars and tanks. He has managed to avoid almost all of my defenders in his midnight attack. I suspect his Aussies are using night-vision goggles. GRRRR!! :mad:

I was sneaky.

I went for the flags.

BTW, those trenches off in the middle of nowhere sure are nice!

cobain.jpg

Seems just like yesterday. I was a 22-year-old undergrad, suffering from severe depression, close to quitting an honours degree. Kurt made music mean something for me again, so much more than what had been happening in music the previous eight to 10 years. (With the exception of Public Enemy and early New Order).

It was a Friday and I was at the Golden X Inn and we were just starting to get into the sauce. Pretty soon the Inn started filling, the music got louder and we got a bit drunker. Then one of my group noticed that there seemed to be non-stop images of Nirvana on the big screen TV which was tuned to Much Music. Pretty soon the word travelled around the Inn -- Kurt was dead. The music stopped, the bartender turned up the volume on the TV and about 100 drunk undergrads sat in stunned silence and listened to the news.

The rest of the night was spent with Nirvana cranked in the Inn and a lot of sad 20-somethings.

Corny as it is, I'd like to say thanks to Kurt, Kris, Dave and Chad for the music.

I mean, christ, someone who writes lyrics like "I'm not like them / But I can pretend" to someone also suffering depression is a life saver, in every sense of the phrase. You think to yourself, 'I'm not the only one who thinks this way.'

I'll finish off the maudlin hour with a paraphrasing of G.K. Chesterton that hangs above the bar at the Inn:

Comradeship and serious joy are not interludes in our travel, but that rather our travels are interludes in comradeship and joy. The inn does not point to the road: the road points to the inn. And all roads point at last to an ultimate inn. And when we drink again it shall be from the great flagons in the tavern at the end of the world.
Oi! :cool:

Originally posted by Snarker:

neighbourhood

Hehe! Slowly being assimilated. First you find yourself spelling neighbourhood with a "u", next thing you know you'll be gulping Tim Horton's coffee, setting up your igloo, and developing a massive inferiority complex towards your neighbours to the south. Noo doot aboot it!