The Cheery Waffle thread: some assembly required, Master Goodale NOT included

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Firefly:

Oh, be quiet Boggs, the next thing you know Axe will be wanting a War of 1812 game.

Good point. That would be a war where his tactics might actually work! </font>

Originally posted by Firefly:

Oh, be quiet Boggs, the next thing you know Axe will be wanting a War of 1812 game.

Oooo!! Oooo!! *waves hand frantically*

I want to be Charles de Salaberry.

He whupped them Yanks real good.

Two weeks after the disaster of Moraviantown, the Americans invaded Lower Canada in a two-pronged attack.

Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Michel de Salaberry commanded the troops that met American invaders at Châteauguay in October, 1813. (As portrayed in Canada: A People's History)

One army came down the Châteaugay River and a second down the St. Lawrence with the plan of converging on Montreal.

The forces of Lower Canada were under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Michel de Salaberry, whose grandfather had fought against the British and whose father had fought for them. De Salaberry was an imposing man, a career soldier who had killed a Prussian in a sabre duel. French Canadian support for Britain was an unknown quantity and it was thought that the charismatic de Salaberry could rally the citizens. He raised a company called Les Voltigeurs Canadiens with the promise of an immediate salary and fifty acres of land.

Eighteen months before, when de Salaberry put out the call for volunteers, the Quebec Gazette reported that the Voltigeurs were an instant success.

Sharp-shooting Canadian and British troops repeatedly rebuffed American attacks on the banks of the ChâteauguayRiver on October 26th 1813. (As portrayed in Canada: A People's History)

"The corps now forming under the command of de Salaberry is completing with a dispatch worth of the ancient warlike spirit of the country. They are to defend their king, known to them only by acts of kindness, and a native country long since made sacred by the exploits of their forefathers."

The Gazette may have been overstating the prevailing mood, but militia companies were raised to defend Lower Canada's borders at Lacolle River, Odelltown and at Four Corners.

De Salaberry chose to face the American invasion on the banks of the Châteaugay, a strategically advantageous spot. The company felled trees and destroyed bridges then waited anxiously for three days for the enemy.

De Salaberry's troops waited behind their barricades for eight cold and rainy days believing that American troops would attack again at Châteauguay. (As portrayed in Canada: A People's History)

There were 500 men facing an army of 4,000.

Charles Pinguet, a lieutenant with the Canadian Fencibles, described his commander's tactic: "Colonel de Salaberry selected a strong position and ...we began to fortify ourselves with trees and to form entrechments. Behind these works we lay for three days and three nights waiting for the enemy."

On the morning of October 26th, 1813, it was a confident American army that took to the field. The Americans fired the first volley. "The fire from their right was so powerful as to force our skirmishers to shelter themselves," said Michael O'Sullivan, aide to de Salaberry.

The Americans planned to capture Montreal with two offensives - one force would march north along the Châteauguay River while a second would come along the St. Lawrence.

"The enemy mistook this for the beginning of a retreat and much mistaken they were... Huzzas resounded from all parts of their army."

There was no retreat. Lieutenant Pinguet and the other Canadians calmly stood up to the attack, returning fire from their entrenched positions and repeatedly rebuffing the Americans. "All of our men fired from 35 to 40 rounds so well aimed that the prisoners told us the next day that every shot seemed to pass at the height of a man's breast or head," Pinguet testified in his eyewitness account.

Unable to penetrate the defenses and vulnerable to fire, the Americans quit the field. "I write you just a word to let you know that the enemy commenced his retreat yesterday," de Salaberry wrote to his wife Anne, "I believe that we have saved Montreal for this year...

I hope that they are going to let us rest and that I shall have the happiness to see you shortly. I am very tired. I kiss you a thousand times, also the little one."

Although they were in retreat, de Salaberry thought the Americans might simply be regrouping. For eight days, the Canadian forces stayed behind their barricades, waiting in the cold autumn rain. The weather became a more bitter enemy than the Americans.

"We suffered so much from... foul weather that some of our men fell sick every day," wrote Pinguet, "I now know that a man can endure without dying more pain and hell than a dog.

There are many things that I can tell you easier than I could write them, but you will be convinced by this affair that Canadians know how to fight."

Six months later, Pinguet would die of a sickness contracted during this campaign. The Americans never did come back.

A few weeks after the battle of Châteaugay, the second arm of the American invasion plan also fell to pieces. In the fields of John Crysler's farm, on the bank of the St. Lawrence River near Long Sault rapids, a greatly outnumbered force of British regulars and Canadian militia drove the invaders back. Another attempt by the Americans to conquer Canada had failed.

From here.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Oooo!! Oooo!! *waves hand frantically*

I want to be Charles de Salaberry.

He whupped them Yanks real good.

blah, blah, blah.

Axe, you maggot, I'd like to know who made up that crazy anti-American tale you posted. Everybody knows the USA always wins wars. Surely you know the US is the source of all those foam rubber "We're Number 1" fingers. We didn't get to be number one by getting pushed around by the Canadians and the British. So it's obvious that your story can't be true. Logical, eh? tongue.gif:D:D

Originally posted by Snarker:

Axe!!!! Replay and resend the last good turn you got from me. We got the save game corruption bug on your last send. I swear BFC added this to get us TNT chuckers cranked!!! ...but I'm not paranoid.

Yes you are. Sssh. Did you hear that? Your TV is speaking to you.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Sharp-shooting Canadian and British troops repeatedly rebuffed American attacks on the banks of the ChâteauguayRiver on October 26th 1813.

Lies! All lies!

:mad:

The Americans never retreated. They were recalled and sent to New Orleans where they mercilessly massacred the cream of the British army. Afterwards in celebration of their martial prowess they created the sacred observance of Mardi Gras.

It's all true just like I said.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Lies! All lies!

:mad:

The Americans never retreated. They were recalled and sent to New Orleans where they mercilessly massacred the cream of the British army. Afterwards in celebration of their martial prowess they created the sacred observance of Mardi Gras.

It's all true just like I said.

Michael

Finally, a sunbeam of reality breaks through the clouds. I guess we'll have to let Axe and his fellow hosers go on thinking they really won, even though we true-blue, red-blooded Americans know better. :D:D:D

By the way Axe, what's happening on the labor front? Are you on strike yet? :confused: :(

Becket, are you out there somewhere? I sent you an e-mail; did you get it?

Anyone seen or heard from Keke or Lurkur? Mike seems to be the only maggot sending any turns. GRRRRRRRR!!! :mad:

Originally posted by Dave H:

By the way Axe, what's happening on the labor front? Are you on strike yet?

We reached a tentative deal last Tuesday and we voted to ratify last night.

All is peaceful in Labourland.

As for Keke, he said he was going to be gone for a few weeks. Maybe he's had to go on his mandatory bit of army training?

As for Becket, last I heard from him was April 3. He said he was really busy with travel and work and stuff. The maggot. :mad: :mad: :mad:

We want BDLARM!!!

We want BDLARM!!!

We want BDLARM!!!

:mad: :mad: