A Series of Misfortunes

Sergi and Kobal2,

After some thought I'm realizing you two may be right. The strength of my tactic lies in firing while out of sight. It does seem logical that tanks use HE on ATGs in direct fire.

I think I'll run an experiment with different ATGs and tanks and see what happens, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Originally posted by willbell:

No way! I could swear I have fired AP at soft targets when it's the only thing left!

When it's the only thing left it will be used but the blast for an AP shell is very small and isn't very effective at taking out soft targets.

That's right, no direct hits. An 88mm FlaK would of course be a nice target (also for HE). You can fire AP at guns, infantry etc. and inflict casualties with a bit of luck, but the way it is modelled is more like "very weak HE". It is a bit cheesy, I know.

I can't help but think that an AP could be modeled like a real big bullet and cause damage to the gun.

I do recall a scene in a book where a machine gun in a bunker was hit by a round and made a nasty clang/bang/thunk kind of sound (to the best of my recollection) as it slammed into the back wall.