75 IG gun : anyone ever used this hardware with success ?

IDILIX

I have been using this gun in a number of games now. So far the results are below average. Not enough suppression against soft targets and bad AP potential ( with HC ).

Has anyone have an idea how to use this piece ? AFAIK this was a mass produced gun that was considered to be successfull.

regards

In the real world it would have been used indirect more often than not I guess. Buy a 75mm spotter if you want to replicate that usage. Personally, I like it - it's very cheap indeed and useful in a pinch. I'd use it as a one-shot weapon in tree cover, or as a long range harassing piece, in a trench behind a hill crest. Guns are vulnerable to mortars, but for the points I think this one can delay an advance for a couple of turns, which is worth the points.

Don't rely on them alone to suppress a soft target. Instead, use them in conjunction with other assets, such as a MG42 HMG team or bunker, which does the suppression. Once the MG has pinned the enemy unit have the 75 pound away. The ROF ensures the unit will get hammered with several rounds in a turn, usually breaking it.

Their best deployments are in trenches, with said MG team alongside, and a HQ if possible. This should be placed behind the FLOT and keyholed to cover only a section of front.

I love the 7.5cm IG! smile.gif I've used it several times not only on the defensive but more so on the attack and in a meeting engagement. It, with a HMG as Kingfish suggested are a deadly combination. As long as you can deploy it in a nice covered position you will have no problems. Now against armor its performance is rather poor due to low amounts of HC for the gun. So against armor it can be a last ditch or an easy fix to light armored vehicles.

Tschüß!

Erich

Yes I use it all the time. Russian versions too. It does direct fire HE against soft targets. 81mm mortars can deal with enemy guns and HMGs, but have trouble with houses and sometimes trenches, and have limited ammo by comparison.

Take a pair of them and site them to hit covered areas while your MGs cover the open ground. Herd enemy infantry into the cover with the MGs, while the IGs stay silent. Wait until a fair number of "flags" collect in a forward bit of cover. Then let fly, using "area fire" to toss in 6 shells a minute whether you have a point target or not.

Once they have shown themselves, chances are the enemy will try to take them out with mortars. That's OK, as sometimes it only pins them, as they soak up ammo worth about their own price.

As for their AT ability, you want flank shots at 500m or less. Then their HC is perfectly dangerous to standard allied armor. Accuracy at long range suffers from their low muzzle velocity, but close enough it hardly matters. Don't waste them shooting front aspect or HE only at full tanks, stay hidden instead.

One that lives long enough to deliver most of its ammo load pays for the pair, easily. They are a standard part of the German gun and heavy weapon mix. Other components are 81mm for enemy guns and MGs, light flak for enemy light armor and scouts, and HMGs to deny open ground at long range. Each doing their job make a combo far more effective than single items in the mix.

Ah, you were talking CMBB. I just assumed you meant CMAk since that is where you posted!

The 75IG HC is less than half as effective in BB as it is in AK. In AK, I'd take 1 75IG over 1 pak40. The HC is so lethal in AK, I find it hard to believe that it isn't drastically over-modeled. In addition to this the HC is quite accurate out to 700 meters and beyond.

Have you ever seen pics of this gun? I cannot believe it was this accurate or lethal in real life. Then again historical reality is not my area of expertise.

Originally posted by walpurgis nacht:

The 75IG HC is less than half as effective in BB as it is in AK. In AK, I'd take 1 75IG over 1 pak40. The HC is so lethal in AK, I find it hard to believe that it isn't drastically over-modeled. In addition to this the HC is quite accurate out to 700 meters and beyond.

Are you kidding me? I routed Ivan plenty of times with the 7.5! :D And as long as you had a good crew and had something in your sights it was not hard to blow it up/hit it.

Tschüß!

Erich