Which vehicle is it?

HISTORIC SITE

Dear visitor!

This car has been a part of the "Negev brigade" force during the "Ovda operation" for the conquest of Eilat.

in this operation, the leading force depart from Be'er sheva in 6.3.49 Via Wadi Arod.

"Ovda operation" was the last operation of the independence war.

This car, which was in the command of Jacob Bert,had a broken axle, and the car was abandoned with the authorization of the brigade's commander, Nahum Sarig, after it was found out to be beyond repeir.

With the years passing by, the car was covered by flood water and sand, in passover of 1987, while traveling, the Shimshoni family found the car.

The car is a Humber 4WD with 85 BHP, 9.25x16 tyres, it was built for the british army....(not readble...), the last car was produced in 30.9.47 .

As far as it known, the car was used by the british paratroopers, the car was taken in combat by an Arab gang in the Gaza strip, after a while the car was moved to Be'er sheva. with the fall of Be'er sheva into israeli forces the car war taken for the convoy to eilat as an military police vehicle.

Please keep the site clean for those that will come after you.

Humber 4WD

I think this is it at the top of the page.

Edit: If this vehicle was left where it lay, I am really not surprised the axle broke. There must have been some urgent need to cross that terrain.

And thanks oren_m for this entertaining contribution to the forums.

[ May 25, 2005, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: Hoolaman ]

It's exactly the vehicle!

Just think how hot it could get in that cabin while driving in the desert...i guess they did'nt had A/C back than!

I have another picture of the Humber this time to can see the story sign (it's in hebrew, dont bother to try reading it...)

norm_3425198CF6A242E79AEB97336CA10CB3.JPG

[ May 25, 2005, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: oren_m ]