NEW CMAK MOD: " 1941 - Blitz over Greece " WIP

• 6 months later...

Wow! :eek: Both projects look great.

August? That's like ahhh (Looks at calendar, counts on fingers), 6 months from now! Are you going to release Greece first?

Would you recommend reinstalling CMAK with another name into my hard drive and the downloading your little gems into that?

I don't know what the Greeks were wearing, but the British tropicals from N. Africa would be perfect for Greece. I don't think the Germans or Italians wore tropicals in this Campaign.

British vehicles were more likely to be painted in desert camo as most of the CW forces were either going to or coming from Egypt.

DavidI

If I am not mistaken, didn't the Greeks use a lot of Italian equipment--especially helmets? These were purchased, not captured, from Italy. I have seen numerous photos (but can't find these photos on the net, and I do not have a scanner)of Greek troops wearing Italian helmets.

Now the question: Is it possible to make a mod by switching sides? What I mean is, is it possible to copy the Italian helmet file,renumber it for the FF helmet, and then overwrite that file. Will that work or is the French helmet "hard coded" and thus cannot be changed? If not we would have modded Greeks with Italian helmets.

IF this can be done, then can we do something similar and give ourselves VICHY French by copying the FF bmps into a folder, then copy the Italian bmps into a folder, then overwrite the Italian bmps with French bmps. Is this possible?

I may take a stab at this soon, but if I am wasting my time (as well as yours by this suggestion) it would be good to know.

If we can have modded Vichy French then we can recreate some very interesting battles that took place during Operation Torch. Also, you could have Free French vs Vichy French fighting in the Levant.

Getting even sillier (?) we could then mod the Italian MR35 into a French R35 and mod the captured French tanks in the German OB (they are included in CMAK right? I know we have them in CMBB). Voila! Vichy French with French tanks.

Tooz,

I agree that all that would be desireable - BUT, the shape of the French helmet is hardcoded, transfering Italian helmet bmp to the French figure would just strecth the Italian helmet colors over the French helmet frame. I hope that CMX2 will change that. It would be way cool if you could sculpt (is that a word?) head shapes, or swap them around. I would love to see Aussies in digger hats, Indians in turbans,

German Squad Leaders in M-43 caps, and if I got tired of that look put them back into helmets.

Dream on, Dave, Dream on.

DavidI

Thanks Dave. J2D (THE go-to-guy for these types of questions) filled me in on the details.

It sure would be nice if there was some way to introduce new forces into CMBB and CMAK. The one mod I am craving is one that could turn my 1944+ Romanians (Sovietized?) into Bulgarians. Although the Bulgarians never fought the Russians (never even declared war on Russia) they were quite active in the Balkans and southern Austria. Add in the fact that almost all of their SWs, ordinance and armor were German made and you could have some interesting battles and ops. The history of the "Prinz Eugen Division" has enough info to assist scenario designers.

Having Greeks in CMAK was a wish while AK was still in development.

All the more reason to eagerly await CMx2.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I did some fooling around with modding the Germans with Continental tunics with no shirts and rolled up sleeves. Unfortunately the rolled up sleeves wouldn't work, the hardcoded cuff length made them look like Poppeye on spinach! :mad:

However I did figure out that you could use the LW Mech boys for SS, their organization is similar, there aren't any LW Mech in Greece and the NA LW boys have seperate arm BMPs so you could do SS in tunics with the propper insigna.(Are you reading this BFC?) I'm pretty sure that the 1st LAH was there with armor and everything.

Anyway, just thinking.

David I

PS. I think both projects have great merit, pursue, pursue, pursue.

DI

[ March 14, 2005, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: David I ]