"Secrets of the Desert War" on History Channel tonight at 8 EST

wbs

Tonight at 8pm on the History Channel the "Dead Men's Secrets" program is entitled "Secrets of the Desert War". It starts at 8pm, Eastern Standard Time, and for those who are interested it will be followed at 9pm by "Tiger Attack", which is about the Tiger Tank in WWII.

Here is the link to the main webpage--look for the TV listings and click on the selected program for more details about the program:

http://www.historychannel.com/

[ January 30, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: wbs ]

Good luck with that History Channel programming!

By that I mean some of what they produce is very good, but for a good proportion you get the impression they edited a bunch of random WWII shots together for filler and took their text out of a general history book. Not exactly Ken Burns' "the Civil War", if you know what I mean.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

So, according to them, what were the secrets of the desert war?

Michael

I didn't get to sit and study it, but from what I gathered it was the ruse's used by the British. Fake rocks that hid ambush troops, tanks that had wooden "hulls" put on them that looked like cargo trucks from the air, camels dragging boards to kick up sand, some others. Stuff that would be neat if it were modeled in CMAK. smile.gif

Originally posted by GJK:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

So, according to them, what were the secrets of the desert war?

Michael

I didn't get to sit and study it, but from what I gathered it was the ruse's used by the British. Fake rocks that hid ambush troops, tanks that had wooden "hulls" put on them that looked like cargo trucks from the air, camels dragging boards to kick up sand, some others. Stuff that would be neat if it were modeled in CMAK. smile.gif </font>

What I thought was interesting was the amount of deception that was actually successful for the Brits.I mean blinding the bombers with those rotating lights all along the Suez,and the lighting in the water away from the harbor so the German bombers thought they were bombing the port at night, but instead dropping their payload into the water,was as amazing as the actual idea to try something like that.What it showed me is that without these masterful tricks it may have been a differant outcome in Africa.The other program about the Tiger was pretty good as well,hell, I get scared seeing 'um in a scenario, just think what the real soldier felt like when they came rumbling towards them!What I did notice was that air attacks were pretty successful at times against these big cats at least on the Western front,and that the Tiger was better served on the Eastern front in long range tactics.They did mention the Viller's Bocage battle and Wittman's heroic and (IMO) fanatic roll through that town with some great footage of the devastation that took place.I believe they said only 1300 Tigers were built? Thank God for that!