Please direct me to the noob help forum

Hi,

CMAK noob here. Found the manual sorely lacking in explaining some things and I was hoping to get help on the forums. Where can I get a thorough explanation of ALL the game features and some help with the basic tactics? I looked in the tactics forum and not much there either. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Peek

PS - Sorry if this topic doesn't belong here, but I didn't have time to search the entire fora.

Hi Peeking,

Not sure if there's a specific forum for helping out "noobs" but I'm sure you'll find a lot of people willing to help here.

While I don't have CM:AK yet (waiting on delivery) I can relate how I learned to play CM:BO and CM:BB.

Step 1

Read the manual. It's a really tired and cliched phrase, but in the case of the Combat Mission games, it's really, really important. Apparently the CM:AK manual is not quite as extensive as the manuals for the first two, but you should read what you get regardless. It's too bad that you found the manual lacking - since I don't have the game, I can't comment, but the manuals for the first two games were extremely thorough.

Step 2

Read the manual again. The first time you read through it, you'll be learning things for the first time. On the second, you'll be able to relate things you read in previous chapters to the first chapters in the manual; it all starts to come together.

Step 3

Play the tutorial. One of the hard things about CM is that it's difficult to predict how a particular turn will go, but you'll usually find that the tutorial is set up for you to not fair too badly, while learning all the necessary steps.

Step 4

Don't expect to win right away. This is a difficult, complex but ultimately very rewarding game. It's easy to get discouraged if you haven't played games like this before. Any sort of background in wargaming helps a lot - even boardgames can assist you in understanding things like line of sight and the various strengths and weaknesses of a unit.

Step 5

Play small scenarios to start off with. Don't bite off more than you can chew. I recommend scenarios with less than 1000 points until you get a good feel for how things work.

If you prefer, try a few quick battles where you have a definite advantage in point values, and the AI skill is toned down a few notches.

Do yourself a favour, though, and always play at least at "Full" fog of war realism, and progress to "Extreme" as soon as possible.

There's a FAQ thread floating around here somewhere; I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Good luck, and welcome!

[ December 10, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Kozure ]

Hi

Welcome

I'll advice you to ask in the CMBB forum if somebody can send you the CMBB manual as a .pdf file.

The CMAK manual is indeed very basic.

I myself have only the Battlefront CMBB version manual which is a booklike manual.

The European version of CMBB has a .pdf file on the CD as manual.

Monty

Originally posted by Kozure:

Step 1

Read the manual.

Step 2

Read the manual again.

Hi, Kozure. Thanks for the prompt reply! Anyway, the problem I am having is precisely because the manual for CMAK consists of two things:

1. Hotkey listings for various functions(although it seems there may be more game functions not mentioned in the hotkey printout)

2. The tutorial was good, but failed to explain why one does certain things in it, and also failed to explain some of the terminology.

Hope I'm not being too picky, but I simply don't know much of the lingo and certainly don't know anything about small unit tactics.

cheers,

-Peek

Found the link to the Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=004792

Scroll down about 1/4 of the way through the first post in that thread - some of those questions become more relevant for CM:AK.

I'll leave it to some of the forum vets here to make a FAQ for CM:AK - I think it would be a bit presumptuous for a member with such a terribly high member number (13914) like myself to try to put something like that together.

Incidentally, if you read things by people with very low member numbers, they most likely know what they're talking about.

madmatt is part of the Battlefront team, and can be said to be an official source

Rune designed many of the scenarios, including one of the demo scenarios

Michael Dorosh is one of the resident "grogs", along with Berlichtingen and quite a few others here.

In the event you don't know the term, "grog" is shorthand for "grognard" - a knowledgeable "old-school" wargamer who will often know the minutiae of something historical, literally down to the uniform button or the chemical composition of a type of paint.

Originally posted by PeekingDuck:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kozure:

Step 1

Read the manual.

Step 2

Read the manual again.

Hi, Kozure. Thanks for the prompt reply! Anyway, the problem I am having is precisely because the manual for CMAK consists of two things:

1. Hotkey listings for various functions(although it seems there may be more game functions not mentioned in the hotkey printout)

2. The tutorial was good, but failed to explain why one does certain things in it, and also failed to explain some of the terminology.

Hope I'm not being too picky, but I simply don't know much of the lingo and certainly don't know anything about small unit tactics.

cheers,

-Peek </font>

Welcome to the game. What I would do, just to get familiar with how things work, is to play several small (~500 point) quick battles, to see how things work with a manageable number of units to control. You'll learn how a lot of things work doing this...and you can then come back to the forum with specific things that are giving you trouble in the game.

There's a noobie help thread which generally stays on the first page. The name is continually changing but it always contains the word "Peng" in it. The current iteration of that thread can be found here:

Peng "noobie" help thread

Feel free to jump right in there and ask anything

you're curious about. I'm sure you'll recieve a helpful and courteous response.

Originally posted by Agua:

There's a noobie help thread which generally stays on the first page. The name is continually changing but it always contains the word "Peng" in it. The current iteration of that thread can be found here:

Peng "noobie" help thread

Feel free to jump right in there and ask anything

you're curious about. I'm sure you'll recieve a helpful and courteous response.

Evil. Eeeeeevil.

Some folks here have WAY more fun playing on this forum than they do actuallying the game which is why the peng Newbie Thread is of no use to you.

Now where is that CMAK Primer Thread??? :confused:

Well there isn't one.

BUT there was a CMBB Primer that was EXCELLENT!! :eek:

now I don't know where it is but if you can find a link to the CMBB Primer you should be set.

There should be some form of CMAK Primer thread akin to the CMBB Primer thread.

Search for the word Primer in the CMBB forum in the title of the thread and that should help.

(or, if you can, print out the 200 page PDF at work on the laser copy/photocopy machine :D )

hope the helps

NOW BRING ON THE CMAK PRIMER THREAD! :eek:

-tom w