Creating a fictional scenario....

Axis forces are tipped off that the US has created an atomic bomb and is planning on using it on Berlin in an attempt to end the war. Because of security concerns it is decided to transport this bomb by air across the Atlantic. This requires the bomb to be first transported via rail to the Canadian airfield neat Halifax, then on to Iceland and the finally the UK. This rail line passes close to the small town of Eastpoint.

An elite force of German commandos have landed undetected from U-boats...

You get the picture.

Originally posted by Uberpickle:

I'm thinking about creating a fictional operation with Axis paratroopers in the town of Eastport, Maine. What advice would you give me regarding crafting this scenario? I already have the 1945 maps of the area, I just don't know how I want it to go.

OK, well for starters remember that they're not going to have any vehicles, or much heavy kit.

That said, in this kind of crazy scenario, a glider-borne assault with light vehicles and recoilless guns isn't as unlikely as anything else.

I'd also advise going in with FJ Pioneers with plenty of satchel charges, for their usefulness in MOUT situations.

As for US forces, have a few rifle half-squads around, before heavier kit is brought in.

Originally posted by Uberpickle:

I'm thinking about creating a fictional operation with Axis paratroopers in the town of Eastport, Maine. What advice would you give me regarding crafting this scenario? I already have the 1945 maps of the area, I just don't know how I want it to go.

King's idea is good. Too bad you can't pit US vs US, since that would allow you to create a german Special Forces unit in US uniforms, fluent in (US) english, connecting the story to several actual german operations during the war. At any rate, you can use any of a large number of commando raids actually performed during the war, for OOB.

If you want it larger scale, just simulate an invasion. You can use the landings and paradrops in and around Narvik, and adjoining archipelago, as a model. The area is not entirely unsimilar.

Cheers

D.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Baron Ritzner Von Jung,

May I suggest Feldgrau Dawn as a suitable name?

That's certainly a better idea that titling it as a Hollywood re-make of "Went the day well".

My suggestions for the scenario title are "Fire in the Eastport" or "Schwerpunkt: The Maine Effort".

All the best,

John.

Ok guys, a little update:

Unfortunately, for times sake and to make the operation playable and enjoyable, I made the map 6 sq. KM. I have the general outline of the island mapped out and I am going to go through it again, create the air field and begin creating the outskirts of the town.

I sketched out the island through tracing, along with the infrastructure.

[ October 14, 2007, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Uberpickle ]

How about Kraut Calamity?

or Bothersome Boardwalk Boche?

or Fritz has a fit?

or Merry Jerries assault our ferry?

or Brandenburger with fries?

or U-137 strikes again - the prequel?

or Failed integration of heavily armed immigrant groups in the municipality of Eastport, july 1942, a US Justice Dpt Survey?

or How we almost made it to Canada - a German account?

or Seven Years in Maine, by Heinrich Harrer?

or One Eastport too far?

or The hitherto unknown second air assault landing by Rudolf Hess behind enemy lines?

or This aint Kansas, Dorothy?

or "The special-operations forces are capable of doing things that other forces aren't", an evaluation by Generalfeldmarschall Rumsfeld on the successful German invasion and pacification of the USA with 1500 übersupertroopers?

or And Then There Were None?

or I'm shooting in the rain?

Seriously though, any chance of seeing the map? Never seen one using tracing. What kind of tracing?

Cheers

D