Idea for Admiral Keth

Hans

You would have to screenshot your "lucky" roll to document it, which is all too easy to forge. And then those that would sit there hitting "refresh" to see if their 3 scenarios would come up would suck up bandwidth and server resources, causing a performance hit for the rest of us.

Now, he <u>could</u> do a quick comparison on each load of the homepage and if the field str_Author (Keith's scenario author field name) is the same for all 3, then both he and the scenario's author receive an email of the "lucky roll". I don't see that happening though, personally.

Validating such a feature would be well-nigh impossible and frought with issues. Screenshots can be forged in a nanosecond, and recording all of the randomized results in a database table would put additional load on the server. Emailing the results is also not a good option, as I'm already receiving emails for just about everything that's happening at The Scenario Depot, from author submissions to failed password requests.

Thus, no.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Is the ADM still around? I get the feeling he's having a well deserved rest after the V2 work (I certainly haven't heard any feedback on some suggestions/problems I reported recently).

Yep, I'm still here. However, my job is moving to India without me, so 100% of my energy and focus is going into finding gainful employment (not easy in this economy). I'm addressing minor issues that come up at The Scenario Depot, but for the most part I'm pushing off some tasks until I've landed a job. Once I'm employed, I'll begin working on The Scenario Depot v3.

Originally posted by Admiral Keth:

Validating such a feature would be well-nigh impossible and frought with issues. Screenshots can be forged in a nanosecond, and recording all of the randomized results in a database table would put additional load on the server. Emailing the results is also not a good option, as I'm already receiving emails for just about everything that's happening at The Scenario Depot, from author submissions to failed password requests.

Thus, no.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Is the ADM still around? I get the feeling he's having a well deserved rest after the V2 work (I certainly haven't heard any feedback on some suggestions/problems I reported recently).

Yep, I'm still here. However, my job is moving to India without me, so 100% of my energy and focus is going into finding gainful employment (not easy in this economy). I'm addressing minor issues that come up at The Scenario Depot, but for the most part I'm pushing off some tasks until I've landed a job. Once I'm employed, I'll begin working on The Scenario Depot v3. </font>

Originally posted by Hans:

Gee guys I was kidding

Whew!

what do you do Admiral?

I am a Senior Technical Writer with 15+ years of experience documenting software user guides, policies and procedures manuals, and sales collateral.

I am also a Senior Web Developer with 7 years experience in HTML, graphics, PHP/MySql, and Lasso/FileMaker.

There's much, much more, but the above qualifications are the extreme bare highlights.

Cool. The middle east has a demand for your second skill not to much for the first (documenting anything concerning customer service is given zilch consideration).

Just in case you'd like a radical change of lifestyle

An American in the Middle East...Hmmm...let me think...

Pros: Increased salary, dry climate, change of scenery, meet new people and experience new cultures...not bad.

Cons: Potential Decapitation

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll give it a miss, unless I could telecommute.

...and I hadn't even considered the lack of homebrew supplies.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hans:

Cool. The middle east has a demand for your second skill not to much for the first (documenting anything concerning customer service is given zilch consideration).

Just in case you'd like a radical change of lifestyle

An American in the Middle East...Hmmm...let me think...

Pros: Increased salary, dry climate, change of scenery, meet new people and experience new cultures...not bad.

Cons: Potential Decapitation

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll give it a miss, unless I could telecommute.

...and I hadn't even considered the lack of homebrew supplies. </font>

Originally posted by junk2drive:

didn't i hear bahrain lost power and no a/c at 130f with the humidity?

Yikes! All of my grandparents hailed from the Frankfurt area of Germany. We are a cool climate people; I'd melt.

@Hans,

1) Where can I find out more info regarding these possibilities?

B) Is telecommuting a possibility?

III) Do you know anything about telecommuting and taxes as it relates to foreign employment?

Adm Keth,

Tech Writer you say. Me too. 23 years, from pencil while handing your manuscript to the typing pool, MACs with Word 1.0, XTs with Multimate Advantage, early versions on Interleaf on Unix boxes, now RoboHelp. What an illustrious career I've had, YAWN!!!!!

I've always said, my job is to convert what the engineers make into more better English.

Try www.craigslist.org I saw a few jobs there in the San Diego listing earlier this week.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by junk2drive:

didn't i hear bahrain lost power and no a/c at 130f with the humidity?

Yikes! All of my grandparents hailed from the Frankfurt area of Germany. We are a cool climate people; I'd melt.

@Hans,

1) Where can I find out more info regarding these possibilities?

B) Is telecommuting a possibility?

III) Do you know anything about telecommuting and taxes as it relates to foreign employment? </font>

Originally posted by General Colt:

What an illustrious career I've had, YAWN!!!!!

What we do may not be glorious, and we are usually last to be hired, first to be fired, but we make a difference. I, too, have had to translate from engineerese and developerish to English. I'd rather be doing it as opposed to letting an engineer (or worse, an East Indian!?) write the manuals/online help.

Try www.craigslist.org I saw a few jobs there in the San Diego listing earlier this week.

Thanks for the tip

@Hans,

Thanks for the tips and resources. You can safely bet that I'll be investigating them and evaluating their feasibility.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by General Colt:

What an illustrious career I've had, YAWN!!!!!

What we do may not be glorious, and we are usually last to be hired, first to be fired, but we make a difference. I, too, have had to translate from engineerese and developerish to English. I'd rather be doing it as opposed to letting an engineer (or worse, an East Indian!?) write the manuals/online help.

Thanks for the tip

@Hans,

Thanks for the tips and resources. You can safely bet that I'll be investigating them and evaluating their feasibility. </font>