New CM AAR website

In reply to a previous thread (Free Combat Mission fan site hosting!), I want to know how many of you would want to see a CM-only AAR website. Would you use it? Would you post your games on it?

It wouldn't take too much programming on my part, although it would take a little time as I have other RL priorities right now. Maybe able to implement in 2-4 weeks.

What do you all think? I need to hear from both sides of the argument please. Thanks!

COG

Yes, AAR site would be tres cool. An AAR/Tactics site is the main thing the community is missing at this point as most of the other bases are touched quite well.

I have played around a bit with some OO PHP article type things, and will throw what I have into helping to code the thing up.

WWB

Adding comments to such a site might be useful but I can just see such an attribute being abused along the lines of "you bloody imbecile...I would never have moved that platoon of Shermans over that ridge because I'm a super CM god". If it could be kept abuse free and monitored to be for contructive comments only then it would be great. How you'd do this and who would have the time for it I've no idea. :(

Regards

Jim R.

I envisioned something like this...

ROW #1 AAR

---Turn 1, Axis

------Pic1

------Pic2

------Pic3

---Turn 1, Allied

------Pic1

------Pic2

------Pic3

---Turn 3 Axis

---Turn 4, Axis

------Pic1

---Turn 4, Allied

------Pic1

------Pic2

The Main document would have the following:

Title (70 Char max??)

Game Description

Game

Axis Country

Allied Country

Game Type (ME, Allied Attack, etc.)

Axis Opponent Name (cmmods.com name)

Allied Opponent Name (cmmods.com name)

Terrain

Weather

Time of Day

???

The Turn documents would have the following:

Turn number

Opponent Type (Axis or Allied)

Description of Turn

Button to add pictures

Picture documents would have the following:

Picture u/l field

All docs would only be editable by the creator of the main doc and the two opponents. I could try to get fancy with locking out READ access for each opponent, but it would be easy to defeat.

Picture docs would be opened in seperate window so you could toggle between picture and description text

Have I missed anything? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I only want to do AAR's for now. Tactics would have to come later, but would be in a similar format and should be a fairly easy add-on.

I'm thinking of calling it aar.cmmods.com...what do you thnk? Thanks for the input!

COG

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Adding comments to such a site might be useful but I can just see such an attribute being abused along the lines of "you bloody imbecile...I would never have moved that platoon of Shermans over that ridge because I'm a super CM god". If it could be kept abuse free and monitored to be for contructive comments only then it would be great. How you'd do this and who would have the time for it I've no idea. :(

Regards

Jim R.

I thought about it, too. There's all kinds of people here... Maybe if you have to be a registered user to write AAR's/responses, the likelihood of verbal abuse is lessened. Further tactical discussions would be held elsewhere. Allowing comments would also be good if you wanted to congratulate on a well-written AAR or notify of an unclear sentence ("Which platoon did you mean this was?"). Of course if it doesn't work, then leave it off.

COG, maybe arrange the interface so that you can see before opening an AAR if it's based on a particular scenario. But I'm sure you will include good indexing options like at CMMods!

The turn documents should be arrangeable so that if for instance I don't want to write separate descriptions for turns 1, 2, 3 & 4, I can just make one Turns 1-4 doc. This because not all turns contain events worthy of separate mention.

Originally posted by Sergei:

COG, maybe arrange the interface so that you can see before opening an AAR if it's based on a particular scenario. But I'm sure you will include good indexing options like at CMMods!

Yes, you will be able to view by different fields and search the entire database, just like cmmods.

Originally posted by Sergei:

The turn documents should be arrangeable so that if for instance I don't want to write separate descriptions for turns 1, 2, 3 & 4, I can just make one Turns 1-4 doc. This because not all turns contain events worthy of separate mention.

Yes, the turns will be a selectable field (1-100), so you could have turn 1, turn 2, turn 5 turn 7, turn 10, etc.

As for adding comments, that would open a HUGE can of worms. WAY too much coding to get done in a short amount of time. Maybe for v2.0 I'll put it in....

COG

Looks pretty good. One change I would suggest--normalize the scenario names. Encourage people to pick from a list, or add a new one. Then attach the scenario details to the scenario record rather than having all kinds of double entry of that data.

WWB

CoG: Will you be making this in Domino or PHP or other? If PHP, I have a PHP version of my content editor that might be of use for creating the AAR's: LINK

Only problem is this works only on the PC and with IE and the latest version of Netscape only (possibly Mozilla, haven't tested that yet).

Let me know if interested.

Originally posted by WWB:

Looks pretty good. One change I would suggest--normalize the scenario names. Encourage people to pick from a list, or add a new one. Then attach the scenario details to the scenario record rather than having all kinds of double entry of that data.

WWB

I'm a big fan of data consistency(sp?), so yes, I will be using a list built from scenarios already entered, but with the capability to add another.

COG

Originally posted by GJK:

CoG: Will you be making this in Domino or PHP or other? If PHP, I have a PHP version of my content editor that might be of use for creating the AAR's: LINK

Only problem is this works only on the PC and with IE and the latest version of Netscape only (possibly Mozilla, haven't tested that yet).

Let me know if interested.

Actually, I have this already. In fact, it has the option to use standard text input, or the java applet for colors, fonts, etc.

The pics will still be u/l'd to a seperate document.

COG

One idea would be to have some sort of system in which the two players could post the AR as they go, but not have immediate access to their opponent's. Maybe something like a password system. It would rely to a certain extent on honor, because if someone really wants to cheat they could do so, but if you trust the opponent not to try looking it might be alright.

Is this workable? On the tips and tricks forum we had a couple of fascinating matchups working, with an ongoing AR which worked on an honor system. If we could find a way of formalizing this it would be worthwhile indeed.

How about a "Clinic" area where losers like me could upload saved games mid-way through a battle when things are going REALLY badly?

Then other players can load up the game and get out of the mess that the original player has got themselves into with as few casualties as possible and post a reply with tactics/solutions?

just a thought. I'll shut up now.