Couple of Questions

Canuckgd

Good day, and happy holidays for those that applies to.

I'm seriously considering getting CMAK. I have CMBB, and CMBO is on the way (owned it some time ago, so I have played it). I noticed on the Scenario Depot that some folks have made scenarios for CMAK that cover the Western Theatre in France, Belgium and Germany. I'm mainly interested in following the Canadians through Europe & Italy, so this caught my attention. Are scenarios realistic (i.e. terrain, snow, units) for the European Theatre in CMAK? If I wanted to reproduce a CMBO scenario in CMAK, is that possible? I assume that some pieces of equipment may be missing, but how much of a difference would there be?

The second question is (related to the above), how many inherent scenarios in CMAK are dedicated to Italy vs. N. Africa (i.e. are most of the included scenarios for N. Africa or Italy)?

Many thanks folks. Appreciate your time.

Glenn

Are scenarios realistic (i.e. terrain, snow, units) for the European Theatre in CMAK?
For the most part, yes. Terrain wise, the differences are only in the graphics. Otherwise a wood tile in Italy is similar (gamewise) as one in NWE.

If I wanted to reproduce a CMBO scenario in CMAK, is that possible?
Very easy to do with the Pyewacket's map converter. It takes a couple of mouse clicks to convert a 2km x 2km map in CMBO to CMAK, or vise versa. Afterwards you just add in the units and reinforcements.

I assume that some pieces of equipment may be missing, but how much of a difference would there be?
The Cromwell, King Tiger and M36 TDs are not availibale in CMAK, since they never served in Italy. Other units such as American Paratroopers are only available up to mid '44, at which point they were withdrawn for NWE, so you'll have to play with the parameter dates to get them to show up in later battles.

The second question is (related to the above), how many inherent scenarios in CMAK are dedicated to Italy vs. N. Africa (i.e. are most of the included scenarios for N. Africa or Italy)?
About 50/50 for the scenarios that came with the CD.

My Ortona operation is available at the Scenario Depot, which may be of interest to you.

As for NW Europe, in addition to what Kingfish says - the "missing" units were not ones that the Canadians used in any event (Cromwells were never used by Canadians, for example). Royal Tigers were probably not a big concern to Canadians, though the South Alberta Regiment history does mention an encounter with one in Holland.

For the most part, NW Europe from Juno to Germany can be represented quite well in CMAK. We also didn't fight in bocage country, so the absence of hedgerows is not a huge factor either.

In short, everything we needed in CMBO is available in CMAK, with the same improvements to the infantry game, tank destruction (death clock) etc. that set CMBB apart from CMBO.

You even get the incorrect Sten Gun for the infantry squads that were standard issue for NW Europe since BFC didn't bother to correct this with the last patch. ;)

Originally posted by Canuckgd:

Good day, and happy holidays for those that applies to.

I'm seriously considering getting CMAK. I have CMBB, and CMBO is on the way (owned it some time ago, so I have played it). I noticed on the Scenario Depot that some folks have made scenarios for CMAK that cover the Western Theatre in France, Belgium and Germany. I'm mainly interested in following the Canadians through Europe & Italy, so this caught my attention.

Are scenarios realistic (i.e. terrain, snow, units) for the European Theatre in CMAK? If I wanted to reproduce a CMBO scenario in CMAK, is that possible? I assume that some pieces of equipment may be missing, but how much of a difference would there be?

Many thanks folks. Appreciate your time.

Glenn

Good news there are 19 scenarios with Canadians in them. On the CD their are The Melfa Bridgehead, Killingfields Marsala and a Mountain Retreat. At the scenario depot are 16 more to include 8 by HSG, 3 by CDST, 5 independents and one by myself, Small Battles, Lolla Alla Morte. Enjoy

Plus there are two campaigns with Canadians also

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Take a look at the screenshots at my site for NW Europe in CMAK.

While you are there, my CM weblinks page is fairly up to date. Check out:

Michael Dorosh's The Med (a lot of canadian info)

Battles with Canadians:

CSDT

Der Kessel

IMO you will get your monies worth in a short time.

J2D, just so you know, my site died, since nothing seems to be free anymore. So the link is now dead.

Hi Guys,

Man, thanks a bunch for this! :cool: There is some great sites and great information. I really appreciate your info here. Looks like I'll be ordering CMAK ASAP :D .

Some of the names I remember from before, and some sites are new to me, so this is really helpful.

Thanks once again!

Glenn

Looking forward to getting into this one.

Glenn

I suggest you try Panzerman's CSDT Hilly Graveyard (get it at the scenario depot). A nice little canadian battle that you'll be quickly done with but is a good one to get you in the mood. Man, I feel happy for you. I think you are in for some quality time, Enjoy ! smile.gif

Originally posted by Tarkus:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Canuckgd:

Looking forward to getting into this one.

Glenn

I suggest you try Panzerman's CSDT Hilly Graveyard (get it at the scenario depot). A nice little canadian battle that you'll be quickly done with but is a good one to get you in the mood. Man, I feel happy for you. I think you are in for some quality time, Enjoy ! smile.gif </font>

Good Stuff! Thanks Guys!! :D I also want to get Ortona from Michael Dorosh. I remember his scenarios from his site he had up a while back for CMBO. Man, he sure had some good stuff there (his new site looks equally good).

Looks like I'll also have to get a new video card. I'm one of those "suffering" with the ATI card and no reduced vis as a result. I'm not heavy into games (other than Battlefront), but am in photo-editing, so as long as the new video card doesn't slow these games down too much, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again - I'll go get those now (even though they say about 2 to 4 weeks for delivery to Canada due to Customs tongue.gif ).

Glenn

Oh, forgot to mention - I got the companion book to go with CMAK as well. I did this based on the forum thread regarding how good/bad the book is. Sounds very worthwhile, so I'll have some reading to do besides just the manual :D .

Glenn

(PS - being single, I get to spend as much time as I can with the games :D . However, I have a part-time photography business, so that is my 'limiting' factor. Oh well, nothing's perfect :D )

I was wanting to start the Ortona Op over the X-mas break but don't want to have to only play it vs AI: are you up for a long PBEM?

[i'm posting here because your profile doesn't include an e-mail address]

Good Stuff! Thanks Guys!! :D I also want to get Ortona from Michael Dorosh. I remember his scenarios from his site he had up a while back for CMBO. Man, he sure had some good stuff there (his new site looks equally good).

Looks like I'll also have to get a new video card. I'm one of those "suffering" with the ATI card and no reduced vis as a result. I'm not heavy into games (other than Battlefront), but am in photo-editing, so as long as the new video card doesn't slow these games down too much, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again - I'll go get those now (even though they say about 2 to 4 weeks for delivery to Canada due to Customs tongue.gif ).

Glenn

Hi Brent,

Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY interested! I still have yet to receive the game though, and it could be another month before it gets here. I'm also in the midst of setting up a small business which has to be completed by the end of this month, so December is looking a bit tough at the moment. After that though... :D . Could I drop a post in the Opponent's Forum once I get the game and things are set up (and when I have an email account for the game set up - I don't want to mix it with my business email)? Would be great, if that's not too long for you to wait.

Thanks Brent.

Glenn