Demos Do Sell Games

chashm

I've never bothered to stop and count how many people I've "sold" the CM game to (co-workers, associates, friends, etc.) by turning them onto the BF website & encouraging them to give the CM demo a spin and/or buy the CM game(s) -- but it's probably well over 3 dozen. I've been in the gaming business (board, now computer) now for well over 20 years, and I've never been so inclined to "sell" any other such game.

I do it because I love it, I guess.

The demo is what sold me on the original game. I definitely see it as a red flag when a company does not release a demo for a game. If I'm laying down 40-50 non-refundable dollars, I want a test drive. I'm a realtor and when someone buys a home, they have an inspection done by a engineer. I think of demos as a "game" inspection.

I have to agree that a good demo can heavily influence a game's sales. I passed on purchasing CMBB partially because I was turned off by the scenarios included in the demo. I had no intention of buying CMAK but between the AAR on the wargamer.com site and playing the demo scenarios, I just had to have the game. Now, if I can just find some time to play it...

Originally posted by CBase:

I have to agree that a good demo can heavily influence a game's sales. I passed on purchasing CMBB partially because I was turned off by the scenarios included in the demo. I had no intention of buying CMAK but between the AAR on the wargamer.com site and playing the demo scenarios, I just had to have the game. Now, if I can just find some time to play it...

Yup, I love the "Line of defense"-demo.

I didn't care too much for the CMBB demo though, but I still bought the game.

The game (CMBB) was EXCELLENT and laid the foundation for CMAK!

You missed out smile.gif .

//Salkin

Trying to sell CMAK to Counter-Strike friends...it's tough ;) .

I'm another sale that can be credited to the demo. I've never played any CM games before, but downloaded the CMAK demo last week to try out. At first I didn't like it much, but that was just getting used to the interface and the camera movement and such. Once I was past that, I loved it. I put in my order for the CMAK/CMBB bundle two days ago and have been notified that my order was shipped out from Vermont today. :D It is extremely unlikely that I would be willing to spend that kind of money on a game without having tried the demo.

Lt. Badger