Just got CMBB SE! Questions...

Boy! And I thought I knew nothing about the Western front! Got some reading to do..

1. Any good non-fiction books you could suggest on the Eastern front, from both or either perspectives?

2. Am I to understand the soviets had no personal anti-tank weapons besides molotov cocktials and the seemingly useless anti-tank rifle (I've thus far only been able to kill trucks with it, and that at close range..)?! That sucks..

3. Tactics for Tank vs. tank on the open steppe..

Von Lauchert, for example..

I move my tanks to the ridge and instruct them to move to hull down, but when they get there they just reverse when they see their out-gunned.. What do I do? Rush them?

Boy! And I thought I knew nothing about the Western front! Got some reading to do..

1. Any good non-fiction books you could suggest on the Eastern front, from both or either perspectives?

2. Am I to understand the soviets had no personal anti-tank weapons besides molotov cocktials and the seemingly useless anti-tank rifle (I've thus far only been able to kill trucks with it, and that at close range..)?! That sucks..

I move my tanks to the ridge and instruct them to move to hull down, but when they get there they just reverse when they see their out-gunned.. What do I do? Rush them?

1. "Panzer" by Philip Warner (pretty general but it covers a wide variety of info.) 2 volumes

2. Russian AT weapons in earlier battles against PzKw 35(t) - 38(t), Pzkw III, etc have a better chance to knock out these lighter tanks. In later battles, through some frustrating experiences w/the game, Russian AT weapons (ATR's and Molotov Cocktails) are lucky to immobilize or shock armor. Sometimes though that is enough.

1. "Panzer" by Philip Warner (pretty general but it covers a wide variety of info.) 2 volumes

2. Russian AT weapons in earlier battles against PzKw 35(t) - 38(t), Pzkw III, etc have a better chance to knock out these lighter tanks. In later battles, through some frustrating experiences w/the game, Russian AT weapons (ATR's and Molotov Cocktails) are lucky to immobilize or shock armor. Sometimes though that is enough.

Originally posted by lazysack:

Whoops! Sorry about that last "quote but no content" post. Fast fingers are sometimes dangerous. What kinds of books are you looking for? First hand accounts or more like technical manuals?

Whoops! Sorry about that last "quote but no content" post. Fast fingers are sometimes dangerous. What kinds of books are you looking for? First hand accounts or more like technical manuals?

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lazysack:

Enemy at the Gates and Beevor's book on Stalingrad seem to be the big two </font>

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lazysack:

Enemy at the Gates and Beevor's book on Stalingrad seem to be the big two </font>

"What kinds of books are you looking for? First hand accounts or more like technical manuals?"

Technical manuals. The different Soviet tanks, and their specs, especially, and a blow-by-blow account of the major battles.

The feild-tactics of both sides would be excellent info, too

Thanks for your comments!

[ November 25, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: lazysack ]

"What kinds of books are you looking for? First hand accounts or more like technical manuals?"

Technical manuals. The different Soviet tanks, and their specs, especially, and a blow-by-blow account of the major battles.

The feild-tactics of both sides would be excellent info, too

Thanks for your comments!

[ November 25, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: lazysack ]

Who reads anymore?

Rent the movie "Cross of Iron" and "Enemy at the Gates" for the German and russian sides of the conflict, respectively. If you want to see how Russian women handled life on the home front go looking for the incredibly obscure film "The Cranes are Flying" (has a nice shot of a hex turret T34-76 in it, I believe). ;)