Ill be your Biltong Bitch.

That's great idea, Cpt Kernow!

On additional thought, it might alsobe beneficial for players to have human buying units and setting up the battles as scenarios using map packs. I think esp. in attack AI would benefit more "organized" unit layout and composition on map. And in defense AI is not too hot placing mines, trenches and barbed wire either.

That would not take very long compared to playing campaign as PBEM smile.gif , but would add more variation in battles against AI. I think human mind is still more devious than AI smile.gif

I'd offer to do that myself if I had time :(

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by Cpt Kernow:

I would be interested in playing as the Russian side through your biltong campaign.

Dont mind picking it up half way through a campaign etc etc.

Would prefer to be using the map packs.

Cheers

Cpt Kernow.

If interested post here or drop me a line

ben@yourwebmoney.com

smile.gif Great. Alway knowing what's up against you, the big bonus for the AI forces. Nope, I guess that 3 valentines and 10 T34M42 vs my 4 PzIIIj+1 StuG and 5 Italian "tanks" game vs a human would have been over immediately. :D:D

Maybe somebody should adapt the rules for a 2-pl campaign...

Gruß

Joachim

Great. Alway knowing what's up against you, the big bonus for the AI forces. Nope, I guess that 3 valentines and 10 T34M42 vs my 4 PzIIIj+1 StuG and 5 Italian "tanks" game vs a human would have been over immediately. :D:D

Maybe somebody should adapt the rules for a 2-pl campaign...

Gruß

Joachim [/QB]

i tried playing 2 player. i was the russian and my friend the german. i slaughtered him in the opening battle, despite the fact that i had conscript inf. and some tankettes. but i would also be interested in a 2 player adaptation of the rules. perhaps the russian should have a negative handicap instead of positive?

I think that Biltong as 2-player is no-go, due to fact that it gives Russian side too much advantage (because, after all, it's designed as solitare campaign where AI needs every help it can get).

But buying and setting up forces to premade map for other player has, IMHO, certain potential. And since it's one-off thing, it's "reasonably" fast and doesn't take too much effort and commitment.

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by 86smopuim:

I'd volunteer a bit too.

not suer how to help though.

A general idea might be to set up the maps for a given path of random variables. The problem with that is that the random parameters are affected by the outcome of battles (e.g. decimated, victory level for immediate/counter attacks).

But it would be possible to create custom battles for a specific month. Instead of rolling the dice for the first battle in February '42, there would be a scenario "42-02-A" with a given set of parameters, and you would take them instead of rolling your own. Thus it would use a given AI (and support) force.

Now a few thoughts (unsorted, just as they appear in my head), conclusions below.

Problems:

a) if you set up your core in the editor, you could peek at the setup

Solution: You can surrender and peek at the setup as well. Nobody complains if you cheat vs the AI. It is up to you.

B) If the AI is set up, how do you manage 0 more buy points for it?

Solution:

1) Either give a huge negative bonus and get very few points for the AI, or

2) set up the support force as well (ie no need for the auto-generated battle to select the support troops) and play it as a scenario, where the player has to buy his core+attached units, not using preview (cf a))

c) If the player does not want to fiddle with the editor, using an axis +200% bonus should enable the player to buy a 1000 points core at 333 "provisional" points for the AI. There should be two versions of the scenario. One omitting these buy points, one with them.

d) This leads to another problem : setup is not fixed when importing forces in a qb. Always computer setup....

e) You need several versions to play with different player levels. But adding or ommiting a few forces is not such a big problem...

Conclusion:

a) It is only possible to fix the AI setup if the player uses the editor to buy his force.

I guess many people already do this. Anybody who is able to understand BCR will surely be able to learn to use the editor!

ToDo 1) Rules needed for appearance of tanks for pre-battle casualties (I use a ten-sided die. If the Casualty parameter is 20%, a 1 or 2 will see the tank/gun off map.)

ToDo 2) Small Step-By-Step Intro on how to use the editor to buy exactly the core force for the beginners.

B) The player has to customize his core force for each battle (ammo level...)

Exactly what I already do - and I guess many people, too. If you choose not to customize and rather buy a "random" (HQ bonus, names, ...) core force, selection is not that different from qb to scen editor. Except for the ammo level -can't set this in the editor.

ToDo 3: check if there is some kind of scripting (ala mapping mission) to record and replay your buying sequence)

ToDo 4) The only real problem: Setting up those battles!

Hmmm.... this could work.... albeit a lot of work. Maybe a good proving ground for some aspiring scenario designers wanting to try a few "fictionial" scenarios to increase their feel for scenario making. Kind of apprenticeship... with lots of playtesters.

An enhancement of the "map packs" ala Kiev.

The longer I think about it, the more i like it. smile.gif

Gruß

Joachim

The reason I wanted to do this was to play in battles that are

1. Diverse

2. Use different units

3. ARE NOT ALLWAYS BALANCED (For either side)

I thought it would make a change.

I know I could do my own biltong camp but I dont like playing the AI, I wanted to face all the different situations that Bilt threw up but against a human.

I have had one offer, and will be exploring that.

Cheers

Kernow.