King Tigers

Check the thread with the diagram of how to knock out a Ferdinand tank destroyer. As I pointed out in that thread, the one method that was missing was the "banana in the tailpipe" trick. Although the Russians had a hard time getting their hands on bunches of bananas, the Western Front Allies had them in abundance. Hence their success with dealing with the potent King Tiger.

Also I believe following Sergei's line of flawless logic and extensive research, squirrels love bananas. If the banana didn't do it the hordes of banana loving squirrels would be sure to take out the lumbering menace.

Whew! Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those weren't "grenades"; they were Naverteidigungswaffe rounds.

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

[snipped by Brent]

same goes for infantry. a couple of times when infantry was trying to assault a KT that had lost its gun, the KT crews were tossing more grenades than a platoon of veteran/crack infantry, effectively pinning them down (they were under HQ control). crews tossing grenades like that seems absurd, especially if a grenade is supposed to simulate something like 5 grenades. i must be missing something here. yeah, and of course ordinary infantry used molotovs before using grenades :D

how much does the size of the target matter to the hit %? T-34s seemed to miss KT "awful lot" from 100 - 300 m distances. if they manage to miss KT from 200 meters, i can't see how they could ever hit a StuG.

*endless whine*

did King Tiger really have that fast turrent & rate of fire? impressive thing if it did.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Those weren't "grenades"; they were Naverteidigungswaffe rounds.

thanks for this reference, i have never before looked into this subject.

here are two sites about the Nahverteidigungswaffe:

The Nahverteidigungswaffe

Die Nahverteidigungswaffe

i wonder if the information on these sites also apply to King Tiger.

and the whine continues: i wonder how accurate they were in reality? not one grenade missed in CM as far as i remember, while the design (fixed angle) makes them look less accurate. according to the above mentioned site the range was 7-10 meters, and the effect of the 26mm grenade (smoke greandes were 92mm) was less than that of a normal hand grenade. however according to the other site the fragments of the grenade would fly in circle up to 100 meters. i would also imagine that the fact that the grenade would detonate 2 meters above the target would make it far more effective than an ordinary hand grenade, and if it wasn't surely they wouldn't have replaced the pistol ports with them. in CM a single such grenade instantly pinned a veteran/crack squad that was in command of HQ. the ranges were certainly beyond 10 meters.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

[snips]The gun nut squirrels only became obsolete as the Germans learned to cover their tanks with a peanut paste called as "Zimmenut" which was enough to distract the squirrels from the gun.

Now this is comedy under the big top! LOL! </font>

The best way to deal with a King Tiger is to hide until strategic bombing causes the German economy to collapse. Barring that...

I once had a captured Panther KO a KT with a front turret penetration at weak point. It was at about 200 or 300 metres. Unfortunately, the KT killed the Panther at the same moment! Rare simultaneous kill. What are the odds of that?

Originally posted by aco4bn187inf:

The best way to deal with a King Tiger is to hide until strategic bombing causes the German economy to collapse. Barring that...

I once had a captured Panther KO a KT with a front turret penetration at weak point. It was at about 200 or 300 metres. Unfortunately, the KT killed the Panther at the same moment! Rare simultaneous kill. What are the odds of that?

Happens in every other match. Guns and vehicles shoot simultaneously often, but it's vastly more unlikely that both shots will hit & KO the opponent.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jack Carr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

[snips]The gun nut squirrels only became obsolete as the Germans learned to cover their tanks with a peanut paste called as "Zimmenut" which was enough to distract the squirrels from the gun.

Now this is comedy under the big top! LOL! </font>

I just recalled, waaaay back playing CMBO people on the board were complaining of how easy it was for Greyhound ACs to knock out KTs! The little Greyhound had a very high rate of fire and would just pepper the beast. Getting a "turret penetration at weak point" (presumably through the vision slit?) was not uncommon. it used to drive people CRAZY!

One thing you can do to a KT in CMBB is run him out of ammo. Its an expensive and time-consuming process and against a human player it's nearly impossible. But its been done.

About the 'Naverteidigungswaffe' roof mortar. According to the site listed above it was an air burst weapon and so was much more lethal than a normal hand grenade. Check out most of the later war German tanks and assault guns in the game. The Naverteidigungswaffe shows up in a lot of them. Of course the Brits and Yanks had roof mortars on their tanks too but they were fixed forward firing units and only fired smoke.

[ May 26, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

One thing you can do to a KT in CMBB is run him out of ammo. Its an expensive and time-consuming process and against a human player it's nearly impossible. But its been done.

Maybe you can drain the KT's HE rounds, but how are you going to trick a human player to waste his AP rounds?

Playing once against the AI I managed to run a KT out of AP rounds (lots of long-distance shoot & shoot on my part). I was pretty pleased with myself until the KT still knocked out my T34-85! I had forgot the big 88mm gun fields a couple different types of HE round and one of them has some useable AP penetration ability. Dang!