Favorite Mods/Maps?

I've just been visiting the cmmods and Scenario Depot sites, and as a casual point'n'clicker still living in the dark ages of dial-up, am somewhat overwhelmed by the variety of mods and other add-ins available for CMBB. Anyone care to mention their favorite unit and terrain mods, maps etc? I thought of picking only the most-downloaded mods from cmmods, but that would disqualify any recent uploads. And so few of the maps at the Depot have been reviewed...

Also, it seems most of the unit mods are quite specialized, for certain weather conditions, unit IDs, etc. Can the installation process be organized to allow an entire set of, say, "Central Region, Winter" mods to be imported at once, rather than importing a bunch of individual files for each scenario?

SFJaykey

Hi SFJayKey,

Ok I'm in between a newbie and a semi-newbie so I know exactly where your coming from. Maps I've enjoyed immensely and didn't find too intimidating are:

Shipped on original CD

</font>

• Blitzkrieg (Operation) </font>
  • A Warm Place to Sleep </font>
  • Gefechtsaufklaerung </font>
  • The Iron Roadblock
    </font>

From Scenario Depot

</font>

• Counter Attack at Kharkov (Operation) </font>
  • Air Assault </font>

I've played a whole load more all of which were enjoyable but for me the above have been the best ones so far. As far as downloading Mods goes well really only you can answer which ones you should download. The majority of them are eye candy and that's a matter of personal taste. One thing I will say is that you can't fail to completely fall in love with **any** of AndrewTF's uniform mods. They are gorgeous

Hope this reply is of some use but the "big guns" will be able to tell you more.

Kindest

MG

[ January 17, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: MG-42 ]

For must-have mods you might want to go for the various and sundry dirty Russian vehicles out there.

Also keep a lookout for new trees with higher bases so you can spot your units under them.

I LOVE Juju's stone bridge mod!

The thing to do when downloading is to go from most-used to least used (so you can quit when you get sick of downloading). T34s are always used. Stugs show up a lot. My own Valentine tank mod (a small plug) will probably never show up in the game at all! :D

Ah, I almost forgot to mention, When you see all those winter white mods remember winter mods don't replace the originals. They automatically show up when there's snow on the ground.

[ January 17, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

not to be a party pooper, but another thing to remember is you better have a good machine with a vid card that has a LOT of memory for textures. I have a P4 2.85 w/ 1 GB of pc800 and a GF4 4200 and when i run my unmodded version of CMBB it's great; but as soon as i switch to the modded install, panning the camera around can be a bit painful. Of course i have every unit modded that has a mod submitted for it...

Just something to remember if your machine/video card isn' that robust

Murray

• 2 weeks later...

You GOTTA have:-

1-The 4 Gridded terrain mods (Lt snow/Deep snow/ Grass/ Steppe) which lay a faint 20-metre sq grid over the map to allow at-a-glance contour,perspective and range assessment.

2-Transparent ruins to enable you to see infantry among the fallen timbers of a collapsed building.