Stielgranate

Hello,

My first post. smile.gif

I have noticed that German 37mm PaK36 Antitank Gun has different type of HC ammo. Something called "Stielgranate". Very powerful. No other gun has this type of ammunition, not even tanks using same gun. What is this exactly? And why it isn't available for other guns?

//\\//\\

One might describe it as a rifle grenade for 37mm PaK. 3,7cm Stielgranate 41 had max. range of 600 metres, but it had a muzzle velocity of 110 m/s and thus was usable only at about 300 metres range in order to hit anything. It could penetrate a max. of 180mm, but Finnish AT gunners found it unstable and it had a propensity to explode in the muzzle.

It wouldn't have been very useful for tank guns, unless they could have persuaded someone to stay outside to reload. Hm, maybe a brainwashed Hitler Junge... "Now sit here on the front deck and keep those stick grenades ready while we get closer to that Klim Voroshilov, and afterwards we will give you some chocolate!" tongue.gif

Stielgranate_loaded~.jpg

This is a Stielgranate 41. It was an attempt enable PAK 36s to be able to take on heavier tanks like the KVs and T-34s. It was a muzzle loaded hollow charge round, basically the same thing as a rifle grenade. It was certainly capable of killing them but took longer to load and required a crew member to run out in front of the gun to load it.

More info here .

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

Its actually used in one of the Band of Brothers episodes... the one in carentan i beleave...

Aye, it was in one of the urban combat scenes. I remember wondering to myself, "what the hell is that blob flying off the German Pak?". This raises another question: would have these grenades been of any use against infantry?

You'll note the Stielgranate was meant to be a solution to the gun's problem penetrating the T34. That's a problem you won't notice in the CMBB demo (danged turret front penetrations!).

But it seems with each upgrade to the full game the 37mm gun's ability to pierce the T-34 with AP drops a little bit more. In the V1.03 Beta this makes for some very exciting early war tank battles!

This Round was more to give the PaK36 a longer Live instead to fight T34 and KVs.

For loading, its a relativ light gun, you can put it out of sight with ease, reload and search for a new position.

I think, the effective range was about 100m but i never saw one shooting in one of my games.